1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. boomer

boomer Member

Started it up after installing the carbs, I cleaned them inside and out real good, the bike was sitting almost 2 years. Took a couple of pictures of it. Its really coming along nicely. I got it in the beginning of Jan and just took this pic of it.
    What do you think?. getting there? I've spent a few hours polishing etc. Here's a couple of before pics (the day I got it) and now. Hey, its a hobby..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cheers.
    Boomer

2. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

Wow! Looks like a totally different machine. Great job!

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

RODE IT! (Yesterday--Sunday--actually) It was 38 deg F. It was 53 on Saturday but the fusebox picked an inopportune time to disintegrate.

[​IMG]

4. switch263

switch263 Member

I spent all day yesterday on an 04 R6. About 7 hours in the saddle, all said and done. I gotta say, more fun than my seca, haha. I miss the old girl though, glad to be buttoning her back together finally.

5. tennsouthernbelle

tennsouthernbelle Member

I went to the local motorcycle salvage.
    We went in and asked if he had any Secas. He didn't even look up and said ''In the back. Way in the back."
    This meant ALL the way back in the back of this dimly lit old warehouse. So my uncle and I armed with some tools start searching. (Next time we'll bring a flash light)

We passed piles and piles of stuff. Finally we find the section for Yamaha. It was a sight to behold. Secas, Maxims, Viragos all piled on one another. Some sitting in the aisle.

We start digging. I found a gas tank, sliver with the blue stripping. No Yamaha on the side. It was in worse shape than my tank so I decided to leave it.

Then we found it. It was like the clouds parted and Handle's Messiah started to play.

A Seca XJ650RJ. The thing was mostly stripped of the stuff I really could have used and wanted. We did manage to get an air box, rear wheel, handle bars, brake lever, turn signals, and a speedo. I gather my little treasures into a card board box, pay $50.00 cash and head home.

I cleaned up and replaced the brake lever (I dropped my bike and broke mine >.<) cleaned up and replaced the rear wheel.. I noticed the rear tire doesn't leak anymore.

Next weekend we are thinking of replacing the pod filters with the air box. The reason for this is because the bike runs really lean, and is a b*tch to start when cold. Maybe that will fix my problem. (The bike had been rejett-ed, then the original jets were put back in by the PO) My shocks are on the way. I'm debating on putting on the original handle bars, speedo and the turn signals are for spare.

Oh and I bought a new light weight armored jacket for $75.00 on sale.

I'm scratched, bruised, dirty and tired. But damn it was a good day!!

6. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

The Seca got a new set of mirrors (bar-end type), a new throttle cable, and a good cleaning in and around the battery compartment. At some point the battery drain tube fell off, hosing the area with acid over time. Now everything's clean, zip-tied, and all the connectors are cleaned and siliconed.

I also reworked the rear brake switch and installed a brighter headlight bulb.

7. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

Lol...I tried to paint my headers black, with hi-temp paint. Of course the directions say to "run the engine for 60 minutes" to cure the paint. Ok fine, I'll go for a cruise.

Only problem is, it's so cool out that the rushing wind kept the pipes too cool to cure the paint! After riding for almost an hour, I touched the headers and didn't burn myself. I'll strip 'em and try again in the Spring.

8. rhys

rhys Member

Took another go at the disassembled fork. Managed to get it mostly clean, inside and out. There is some rust at the top of the fork tube that I couldn't get loose, but that is pretty easy to get at later.

Using the damper rod holding tool and some shop towels soaked with carb cleaner like a barrel swab, I got the tube and lower leg cleaned out.

I tried using some paint remover to shine up the lower leg. While it's shinIER - it removed most of the dried oil and other road crap - it didn't remove the corroded metal as I had hoped. Will need something better for a real shine.

Tempted to re-assemble it anyway, I got out the new oil seal and tried to press it into place. No luck. Retrieved my socket set from the basement (long story) and got the biggest one I have (30mm). Not big enough. Need something with an outer diameter of about 45mm.

Sadly, I decided to call it a day. Maybe better luck tomorrow. I'm taking the other oil seal to Sears to find an SAE socket big enough to pound the seals in. (Don't worry. Socket and rubber mallet ought to get them in w/o damaging them.)

9. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Today I swmy stock handlebar for a drag bar.

It took me aabout $0 min. I had to move some of the wiring around and re route the throttle cable and also the clutch cable. the clutch cable still needs some re routing. The clutch cable is not kinked, but it feels a bit harder than it was. I think I have to fix the angle on the clutch lever as well. I'm waiting for my new grips to arrive. Another thing. I thook the bike for a ride this afternoon, and I realized, the mirrors are good for nothing now with the drag bar. Time to buy some cafe style mirrors that mount at the ends of the handlebars. :D

Before:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what ya'll think.

10. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Got the XJ550 back together and running! Just finished colortuning it and syncing the carbs. Runs Great! The Mufflers had a bunch of oil that had been pumped into them...Needless to say I had to heat them up with a good ride to clean them out.

This Video was just before I Synced the Carbs:XJ550

[​IMG]

11. jswag5

jswag5 Member

i started to put it back together finally, coming along great, putting the engine in tomorrow and wire the thing back up, hopefully at the end of the day it might get fired up!

12. rhys

rhys Member

Curses! Got a bunch of large (read: >1") SAE sockets and attempted to push in the fork oil seal with the 1.25" socket and a rubber mallet. I succeeded only in twisting up the seal and irritating myself. Seal is most likely ruined.

Anybody have any advice on pressing the seals in without destroying them?

13. TwistedEvo8

TwistedEvo8 New Member

I tried to sync but failed I need the Tube connectors with threads to screw into the intake manifolds. O yea I also cleaned the carbs for the 6th time in the past 4 days :(

14. flash1259

flash1259 Member

Bought new UNI air filter for 30usd Reusable foam type like K&N

A dam sight better than payin 10 - 20 dollars for 1 oem paper filter, also bought New plugs and wires, looking at new clutch cable and Friction discs,

15. xj650t

xj650t New Member

today I finished all the repairs to the body and now I'm getting ready to primer

16. xj650t

xj650t New Member

today I finished all the repairs to the body and now I'm getting ready to primer

17. stevetibb2000

stevetibb2000 Member

i hugged my RAD

18. Kenbo

Kenbo Member

On the Diversion (SECAII)

Removed the tank leaking again but the engineers at work recon they can weld it for me.

Removed the exhust might get them to weld that hole I just cant patch. As I got it off the bike it just crubbled so I need to start looking for a new exhust system :oops:

19. redcorfe

redcorfe Member

Winter over - spring coming, gave it a clean and had a 20 mile ride to warm her up ! Marvelous.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

I worked on two sets of carbs today. Picked up some muffin pans, a plastic bin that was the perfect size to soak the carb rack in. I cleaned up both sets. The first set was pretty easy. I used Pine-sol on those. The second set was in pretty bad shape. I used white vinagar on those. It took awhile bit they cleaned up just fine. Then I went over to the drug store and picked up some Tarn-X and used that on the brass parts. It got them real clean. I just had to brush them abit and they turned bright brass color. Looking forward for my parts to show up from Len. Will post to let you know how they work.