1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. gagswolf

gagswolf New Member

how does the old black exhaust look?
    It really sucks looking for a exhaust for this bike.
    ANYBODY know where to get a sissy bar/back rest for these bikes, wanna take my little misses on long rides!!! RUN AWAY!!!!
    I've put alot of work into "EDITH" and all she wants to do is keep on going!!

1982 xj650 maxim "Edith"Edith

2. stormothecentury

stormothecentury Member

Got my new front tire in the ... well, UPS, not mail.

Pulled the front wheel off (first time I've done it, no biggie - any tips for getting it back on when I'm ready? I'm going to have to wipe down the axle, it got some crud on it from the garage floor {ditto the spacer} - should that be ok, or should I grease 'em?) and took it and the tire in to be mounted & balanced.

Figured out that my case guards work pretty damn well for putting jack stands under (duh).

Bought a sissy bar/luggage rack combo for $15 off of CL. Turns out it won't fit easily (or look right - it's a super-high back) - it's originally off a CB650. Hoping to turn a tidy profit on eBay.

3. ethanch

ethanch Member

Installed the signal relay and now everything is done. The bike runs great and the weather is supposed to clear in the next day or two, thanks everyone for all your input and ideas, the forums are great, and a great big THANK YOU to chacal for all of his hard work keeping me supplied with hard to find parts and his super fast service.

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Putting on a Front Tire can be a Heavyweight Fight.

I used to do mine. Right in front of the Tool Box.
    Still have the Tire Irons and a Tool called a: "Breezer"
    http://www.dansmc.com/breezer.jpg

I'm done.
    Now, when I need a New Tire; I employ the Monte Carlo method.
    Pop the trunk on the Chevy and listen to the Oldies on the way over to the Bike Shop.

5. Mikko

Mikko Member

Changed brake fluid, a lot better now, but got to change those lines sometime soon too...

6. helmet

helmet Member

ran through the plugs on the bike
    1 is good
    2 had less than .010 gap. corrected to .030
    3- wet. dunno why yet. still fires, but is getting wet. I think the float might be sticking.
    4- good

now, after checking plugs it is harder to start. had to start on prime today.
    go figure. one thing after another

7. Andreas

Andreas Member

Installed new blinkers...sweared, a lot, because they had only the positive wire and i could get no mass on the original brackets.

Of course, in my magic box full of connectors i missed just the ones i needed inside the lamps, so walked to Halfords, get the right connectors, re-cabled everything, replaced the relay (10 w bulbs and i hadn't space for the 27w bulbs) and, as i had the tank off i installed a fuel filter.

Then, i also buy a drag bar and a petcock rebuild kit but tomorrow i'd like to ride...next time

8. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Played around with the mixture map some more - mostly leaning out the low-load areas between idle and 5K.

Still tweaking the startup specs as well. Hot restart is good and cold start is good, but she floods easily when doing a hot soak start (left hot to sit for a few minutes, then restarted). The flood is easy to clear as well (just twist about 80% throttle and crank for a second) but I really want to be able to just push the starter button without touching the throttle and have her start no matter what the scenario. Or, come to think of it, this may be a bit of kickback... might need to retard the cranking timing a bit.

Took a test ride down to pick up a few things at Wal Mart, then up the highway to about 75MPH. Running very smoothly and pulling well. Also very drivable at low RPM's. Plugs a nice tan. Can't wait to get on the dyno, but, due to tuning shop's being busy, my work schedule, and vacation, it may well be a couple of weeks....

Overall, pretty good :)

9. ethanch

ethanch Member

I got tired of the bike and tire stores charging me 35.00 to 50.00 every time I wanted/needed to change tires. On top of that I had several shops tell me they had balanced the tire and wheel but then I would point out the old weights hadn’t moved or there were no weights at all they would look at me with this stupid look of “Oh $hi* what do I say now?” I even had 2 shops tell me “as long as you get that white dot on the sidewall lined up with the valve stem it’s balanced” not so!!! The last straw was when I took my wheels and tires to Sp*&@%e V@##^y Power sports and they told me they were booked out 2-3 weeks.
    I left there and on the way home stopped at Harbor Freight and bought the tire mounting stand and the motorcycle tire changing attachment for just over what I was quoted for a dismount, mount and balance. I built some custom wheel clamp/fingers for it like the ones shown here http://www.advrider.com/Wisdom/TireChangerMods1.0.pdf
    I didn’t like the mount/dismount bar that came with the kit, so I built myself a reproduction no-mar mount dismount tool http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product/show/6 with delrin tips, and now I do all of my own tires, my friends have use of it to do theirs as well. Along with that I picked up a motorcycle wheel balancer on eBay http://www.ebigonline.com/Items/sky241? ... R%20W/AXLE built a stand for it, and now I know that every wheel that I put on is as good as it can get. The old tires come off and the new ones go on very fast and easy. Based on local prices including everything I bought and built I/we have kept over a thousand dollars in our own pockets.

10. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

For once, I just went for a nice ride. Weather was absolutely beautiful today here in the Springs, so I went up Ute pass into the mountains a bit, drove through the cute little town of Green Mountain Falls, came back down through the canyon again and drove along the foothils and past Garden of the Gods.

All that with no, well almost no, ulterior motive for tuning (I did turn the idle down a bit once I got the bike REALLY warmed up) ;-)

Along the way I think I saw every motorcycle in the area out on the roads; I certainly wasn't the only one taking advantage of this lovely Sunday afternoon.

Cheers,
    Paul

11. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Mounted & Balanced New Front and Rear Tires on the '80 XS1100.

Finished cleaning the Carbs on newly aquirred 81 XJ550, installed them and popped it off :D . Ran it for 5min enough to warm it up, killed it, changed Oil, Filter and Plugs. Started it back up and it purred!
    $200, 54.8kmi on it and it runs Great!

12. SecaRob

SecaRob Member

Rode out to Metamora Indiana... I blinked and missed everything in town but the castle. A fantastic 125 mile ride though :)

13. SecaRob

SecaRob Member

By the way, has anyone noticed that this thread is comming up on it's 2 year anniversary? Has to hold the record for the longest running thread?

14. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

I checked plugs and they were pretty white(Bike ran ok but had a stumble in the idle) tweaked the mixture screws a tiny tiny amount richer and re-synced the carbs not sure i did the bike any favors seems to take longer to warm up and run without the enrichment. ERRR!! Oh well i will go back after it next time I get a spare moment bad part is it is my only transportation at the moment..

15. gagswolf

gagswolf New Member

How do you sync the carbs, the book says to use this funky tool? last season I was getting about 35 mpg on Edith.
    Anybody know where to get a Sissy bar for her?
    what kind of rear tire are you guys using?

Angelo
    1982 Maxim xj650
    "Edith"

16. ethanch

ethanch Member

you need a YICS tool to sync the carbs, PM chacal he can sell you one and ship it really fast, or you can search the forums and find the how-to build one, but really it is easier just to order it

17. grutz

grutz Member

Removed, cleaned, rebuilt, installed, filled and bled my master cylinder. Now going to figure out why the brake light switch isn't working...

18. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

I took the 81 650 out of storage today and rode it on a few errands and put fresh gas in and she runs like a top. Fork seals on the way for the next time its up on the lft.

MN

19. ethanch

ethanch Member

Dunlop - Arrowmax GT501FJ's front and rear, a matched set is better. I got mine at cycle gear, got both of mine at their store for under $200 front is a 100/90/19 the rear is a 130/80/18 their web price today is $92 for the front and $110 for the rear. Metzler ME 880 Marathon's are still available in 18" & 19" wheel sizes as well. I have noticed it's getting harder to find good quality tires for these rims these days. good luck.

20. Mikko

Mikko Member

Fixed leaking petcock and changed engine oil since it didn't seem to like old ones :? Not sure if some fuel has leaked into the oil...