1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. MNdave

MNdave New Member

Well I thought I would try to see why the bike wouldn’t run. I pulled off the gas, tank drained it out. I did this 3 times, every time putting a little bit of new gas in the tank and by the end I had about a quarter cup of dirt and junk the came out of the tank. Then I replaced my fuel shut off valve with a new one cause the old one was bad. And then I primed it, pressed the start button and she fired right up. But now it don’t want to idle :x .

2. frankenbike

frankenbike New Member

today I mounted and balanced a new back tire, then rode rode and then rode some more :D

3. ethanch

ethanch Member

I replaced my Seca cable to master cylinder front brakes with a full-on master cylinder to steel braided lines, I just cut the brake lever ears off the control handle; removed everything stock from the lever down to the anti-dive, disc sanded the removal area smooth and gave the bare aluminum a nice paint job. It looks really nice and works great!!

4. Carvall

Carvall Member

Two weeks ago I got a 82 XJ750 for $6O bucks. I have been since cleaning the carbs and and the bike in general. I took the bike for a 100 mile ride yesterday and it is teh best deal ever. The Bike is solid and the engine can't get better. Syncing is the best you can on your carb tunning. I am looking forward to color tune it.

5. RangerG

RangerG Member

Took the bike on a 90 mile coffee run. Went to a neighboring town and had coffee with some fellow workers. Bike is finally running the way it should. Carbs were off twice for all new seals, o-rings, float valves and seats and valves are all in spec now. Sync is done. Plugs all look good. Less than a month til my next 3,000 mile ride.

6. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

An XJ for $60 ... why can't I ever find these deals :/

7. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

True story!! Man I wish i knew more bikers

8. b0bv1la

b0bv1la Member

After having to go through all my wiring with a turn signal issue I figured I would get rid of those oversized eyesores on my bike and follow some of the advice on turn signals on here. Replaced rear lights and installed a new flasher unit and everything works better than before

Attached Files:

9. b0bv1la

b0bv1la Member

Also after hunting hi and low for some way to stretch out on this bike (I'm 6'1") I figured out a way to put some Hillbilly Hiway Pegs on the xj without spending a fortune. These will be replaced someday with forward controls but for now these are really comfortable.

Attached Files:

10. johntc

johntc Member

Not bad and they look like they still fulfill thier function of being seen by others. Personally, I'm willing to put up with the "oversize eyesores" in return for their great visibility but to each is own.

11. b0bv1la

b0bv1la Member

Oh i agree to each his own but the new lights are brighter and after switching the flasher relay the blink rate seems a little quicker. They are still highly visible and safety was definitely on my mind when i changed them.

12. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Kicked it. That's what I did to my bike today.

13. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Added new RED LEDs to my bike. She looks sick nasty

14. jarreddaughtry

jarreddaughtry Member

polishing,waxing, and more polishing. Oh yeah, and riding.

15. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Set it down.....WITH MY BOOT! stupid bike...

16. Screamin_TE

Screamin_TE New Member

removed vital engine components to diagnose the "not turning over at all" issue.........found it too.

17. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

what was it?

18. Pacocase

Pacocase Member

Oh let's see... I fixed the ignition and removed the left engine cover so I could see if it will start. It did. Now that I know I'm not wasting my time, it's off with the bars, destroyed headlight and bracket, and gauges. I painted up a boneyard engine cover from a 650 Maxim to make it look like it belongs on a Seca. I'll post pics soon. Maybe I should start a thread.

Anybody have an extra 650 Seca tank or can recommend a reputable place in the greater DC area where I could get mine repaired?

19. tennsouthernbelle

tennsouthernbelle Member

I told you it would start, it was running just fine when I ran it into the bushes :p

This sucks... perfect riding weather and no bike..

20. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Got the engine painted....after my little week long detour called 'broken intake studs! 8O
    Now all I need is to order the gaskets from Chacal to put her together and back in the bike :)

Here's what it looked like for the silver paint ...creative masking :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I made a cardboard shield that went around the jugs at the base to paint the top half black...
    the end result...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]