1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

Yes they do! My brother rides a Harley Road King and he has a Honda Rebel in the garage as well!!!!

2. grmeyers

grmeyers Member

I own both and enjoy riding my XJ650 more than the HD

3. Mikko

Mikko Member

Put new front wheel bearings. Seemed like small thing but what a difference, much smoother and firmer ride and even brakes don't screech anymore :)

4. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

changed the rear tire. yep... and changed it gooood

5. dbikers

dbikers Member

i road the heck out of mine yesterday.....80 miles (round trip home, work, home). got home changed oil in momma's car and a friend wanted to go for a ride (he's on an '86 radian). put another 90 miles on last night and didn't get inuntil 11p.

6. mr_geoff

mr_geoff New Member

hi peoples,i have a 1981 xj650,i have some sort of electrical problem"well thats what i think".i will ride for a while and then number 1 and 4 spark will cut out,sometimes just number 1 will and sometimes number for will,so i changed the spark plugs but still doing the same,i bought a coil pack but still didnt do any better.....i changed the CTI unit and some little relay thinngy under the fuel tank but still hasnt done any good.i have been to the bike mechanics but they keep saying its the carbi so i clean out the carbis still no better,any ideas anyone???????

7. crow

crow Member

Bit the bullet and pulled the carbs. Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow to start stripping and cleaning 'em :)

8. SkeetaGrimshaw

SkeetaGrimshaw Member

Started her up!
    Doesn't seem like much I know, but that's the first start & run in 2 years.
    I have spent about 14 hours over the past 2 days rebuilding & fitting the carbs.
    Ran out of battery yesterday cranking the engine & had to wait until after work this afternoon to try again.
    Runs smoothly & sounds beautiful after such a long silence. Couldn't be happier!!
    Thanks again to Len for the carb parts!

9. carbineken

carbineken Member

Put different headlights on it Friday evening and then rode the holy hell outta her for the next 3 days!! I'll get some pics of the new headlight setup and post them. I was surprised how it easy it was.

10. rockerto

rockerto Member

Looked at my new intake manifolds that chacal just sent me, no time to fit them tonight as i have webmaster duties to perform.

11. pirok

pirok Member

Somehow I succeded to almost been run over by cars 3 times last week. So now i've got: Stebel Magnum TM80/2 double horn hi/low tone (139db).
    Damn I've got attention now.

Attached Files:

12. shnuffy

shnuffy Member

Video please!

13. NigeW

NigeW Member

Took my XJ for its MOT test today, and it passed with flying colours.

I'd put this off because (since a complete engine swap - my first engine kept jumping out of first) I had a pretty severe oil leak - the kind that covers your boot. I thought this was coming from the cylinder head joint at the front of the motor, so started a top-end stripdown - new cyl head gasket at the ready - only to find it was a split in the cam cover gasket that was the cause - at the back, but running forward past the plugs and down the front of a hot engine. A bit of blue Hylomar on the offending bit of the gasket and back together it went. RESULT! - no oil loss. It's surprising how much oil can find its way out of such a place in so short a time.

Anyway, back on the road now and will hopefully get some miles on this year. The engine is a fairly high-miler out of a German registered bike which I got as one of a pair of XJs last year when I was looking for a new motor. The oil I dropped out of it was good though, and it had a clean K&N filter in the airbox - I dropped new genuine Yamaha valve-shims into the head (£ouch!) and it runs very sweetly.As well as the engine, this bike donated a nice alloy fork brace, chromed lifting handles and a pretty decent Sebring 4-1 system, which makes a nice change from the ubiquitous Motad. Better still, I got a buyer for the engine I'd just taken out.

I'm tempted to mildly chop the spare bike I'm left with, when I get some time and money (but it will have to fight for attention with my four other bikes).

Just wish there was some way to get around the damned XJ flat spot at 6 grand!

Nige W

14. chazmati

chazmati Member

Over the last couple weekends I've cleaned/reassembled carbs, set float levels, replaced the starter solenoid, replaced the rear tire, adjusted the rear brake (no delamination evident), replaced the rear brake light plastichrome piece, checked valve clearance (shim tool ordered), painted the valve cover, installed a new valve cover gasket and donuts, synced/tuned... I'm riding to work.

15. shnuffy

shnuffy Member

Sounds like fun! Where did you get the rear plastichrome piece? Chacal?

16. chazmati

chazmati Member

Ebay auction, $10. Mine was cracked/missing a chunk.

Original owner must have dumped the bike once; there were also scuffs on the headlight rim (replaced), speedometer cover (replaced), all four turn signal stems (replaced), front fork, etc. Mufflers have a little scuff underneath but you can't really see it. I think the handlebars are a little bent, will probably replace these eventually. I want to get the tank repainted too.

My wife is glad I spend more time working on it than riding it.

17. SkeetaGrimshaw

SkeetaGrimshaw Member

Just took her for a short test ride.
    Everything went great!
    Now I just have to get her registered & I can ride legally.

18. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

New Clutch
    New Fork Seals
    New Front Blinkers to match the back
    New Battery
    New Rear Tire

19. jeff4995

jeff4995 Member

Pulled the starter off and cleaned out all the gunk. Wow, what a difference in cranking speed now. Have a rebuild kit coming for it though as the brushes are at their wear limit. :)

20. snowbrdr88

snowbrdr88 New Member

Well, after buying my bike about 3 months ago, I got back from school for the summer and the goal was to get it running good. I got new spark plugs, cleaned the carbs, bench synced the carbs, set the mixture screws, checked for rear brake delamination, changed my fuse box to individual waterproof blade fuses and had lots of fun! My question is, is there anything else you guy would recommend looking into? Other than an oil change and a vacuum sync, is there some maintenance I should do to insure a better/safer ride? Thanks guys!