1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What happens if you don't re-jet carbs?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by mikegustus, Aug 28, 2009.

1. schooter

schooter Active Member

hold on though, whats the scoop on your setup? if your not running pods, and all you did is modify the mufflers by putting on straight pipes, then you should be fine, from wha I've heard, and understand, the collectors provide most of the back pressure, and taking the pipes off wont hurt, it sure didnt on my maxim, ran like a champ

2. mikegustus

mikegustus Member

no pods. Just straight pipes. Ran fine before, loses power now at medium to high RPM. Still runs and I can ride it, but it is definitely running weaker.

Idles fine. Accelerates a little weaker than before, and cuts out as I get into the higher RPM range.

Could this be caused buy a leak in one of the boots on the engine side of the carbs? The reason I was thinking it was the mufflers is because this happened right after the mufflers were removed. Prior to that the bike ran strong all the way through.

What are those boots called? Not the ones going into the airbox, but the ones on the other side of the carbs. How hard are they to replace, and do they require gaskets or anything else like that?

3. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Mike, send chacal a PM and ask for a quote on those boots/sleeves, he'll guide you in the right direction. Are yours hard or soft?

4. mikegustus

mikegustus Member

they seem hard, harder than the ones that go into the airbox.

5. joshua

joshua Member

u listening to the wrong bark of the wrong dog bro. go with your instincts. it could NOT be the manifold intake boots as it didnt haeppen BEFORE u took off the baffles and collector. Start with things that are CHEAP before you run to spend money. Try the chore boy idea and secure them with some cheap clamps and steel screens so they dont blow out. if this helps the the detective is on the right trail. Listen to Rick and some o the other pro's before u listen to an EXHAUST GUY. They KNOW these bikes. TRUST THEM>>>!!!! Timetoride has helped me on this issue as i wanted to go with pods but it appears this is a DEMON IN HEAD idea. Rickcomatic is the tech guy here,take his advice. Dont go hunting the shark in the woods. there is only grizzly bears there.

6. mikegustus

mikegustus Member

Yeah, I am gonna go spend like $4 at home depot and see if it changes anything.

I am throwing mufflers back on friday either way. The novelty wore off rather quickly, I am paranoid about getting pulled over as it is, I don't need anything drawing more attention by the cops anyway.

Probably replace the old boots anyways if it isn't super difficult.

7. joshua

joshua Member

as u wish but those boots are super thick and will last almost forever unless u damage one removin em. they are a hard ruber composite and am unsure if they have metal interiors but i think they do they are kinda heavy for such a small object. maybe they are wrapped in a composite rubber coating ijust dont know 4 sure.

8. mikegustus

mikegustus Member

thanks. I will lift the tank and get a better look and see if there is any sign damage. maybe they are good.

9. lowlifexj

lowlifexj Member

mike how good are you at drilling steel bolts out of aluminum heads??????
    I ask because thats what you will be doing if you try to remove the intake boots. If they do all come out go buy a lottery ticket one for you and one for me :lol: . The boots can be repaired with a coating of high temp black RTV gasket maker. Do you even know for sure that they leak. Try the propane vacuum leak test. And yes they do have metal in the flange area.
    Good Luck,
    James

10. switch263

switch263 Member

Why does everyone always say things like "Your bolts WILL BREAK OFF"? I removed all four of my carb to manifold boots and not a single bolt broke. Matter of fact, I only even had to use penetrating lube on one of them.

I've been telling everyone on all my forums recently, keep an eye out (VERY CLOSELY) for frozen/stuck bolts, as drilling them out isnt too much fun, but unless you're attacking the engine willy-nilly with an air-wrench to take it apart, you should be able to feel a stuck bolt before you break it off.

On-topic, if you do major exhaust/intake mods, and don't rejet, you COULD burn a valve, melt a hole in a piston, or any one of a plethora of bad things. The best part? The bike will probably run stronger than you've ever felt it while it's doing it. Engines LOVE to run lean .... it's just horrible for them. :(

11. lowlifexj

lowlifexj Member

hi switch I know what you're saying about the bolts and all, I fell that if you tell someone that they'er going to break them off they will be more carefull and hopefully won't break them off. I'd rather see a person write back "HA GOTEM ALL OUT" than "dam what do I do now?" (ya know what i mean)
    See Ya,
    James

12. switch263

switch263 Member

Lowlife, I can understand that, it still irks me though. I'd rather see people saying things along the lines of 'go nuts, but be warned X, Y, and Z could and probably will happen, so you might have alot more work ahead of you' etc, etc etc.

I'm a member on several boards, so I apologize if anyone took personal offense with my comments, it was not directed at anyone in particular, just that this is a very common trend on any motorcycle community I'm a part of. It gets rather old.

13. lowlifexj

lowlifexj Member

No offence taken Switch, good lookin out :)
    James

14. Bane

Bane Member

I have a K&N air filter in the stock air box, 4-1 exhaust, shaved head, I run 8mm wires with new Dyna coils and I have neber opened my carbs. I have had fuel/air mixture tests done and also used a Colortune plug and it has all turned out the way they say it should. Changes made on the intake or exhaust of a bike may not be what causes the problem, sometimes it just amplifies it and you notice it more. Maybe I just got lucky but I would never reccomend changing jets just because someone says you will probably have to. Make your changes, do the tests, come up with your solution. Every bike is different. Make sure your bike is in solid running condition before you go changing everything around.