1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What speeds does your bike see?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ryancdossey, Aug 20, 2012.

1. PitBikeDude

PitBikeDude New Member

I have got up to 75mph and it was screaming in 5th I am so new I don't know if that's normal or in my head but I was pulling the throttle on a nice flat straight and let up in fear of the revs .... shouldn't be going that fast anyways but what revs do you run in or up to in any gear?

2. PacNorWestHD

PacNorWestHD Member

The limit here I've been pulled over so many times I'm on a first name basis with some of the local law here. I've actually been pulled over 100 yards from my driveway! Don't know if it's how I look or they just don't like me. SO I stick to the limit so I don't give em an excuse.

3. PitBikeDude

PitBikeDude New Member

If there gunna bitch give em a reason my 2c

4. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

As for speed, all I'm going to say is that it's faster than the CB750F that I had 20 years ago, and I had that one all the way to a buck five.

And I still had a gear left in the Seca.

As for the not liking driving cars thing, I haven't driven a four wheeled vehicle since March. Unfortunately looks like I might have to park the Yammie for a few days after Friday. I'll ride in heat, cold, rain, just about anything, but I try to stay away from ice and lightning.

5. ken007

ken007 Member

6. PitBikeDude

PitBikeDude New Member

10,000 yikes lol I cringed at 7,000 for 4 strokes sake is that ok?

7. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

Pit you'll get used to it the XJ's like their revs. Your missing out if you don't crank on it once in a while, the real fun starts at about 6k and runs right up to the redline.

8. OzRoadbandit

OzRoadbandit Member

Back when I was a damn sight younger and living in the Northern Territory, Australia, I owned an 87 model XJ900.
    Back then we had no open road speed limits up there. I tapped the 900 out at 225km/h (140mph)(indicated) at 9500rpm (redline).
    My GPz900R topped out at 270 km/h (167mph) indicated .....

These days... max 110km/h (68mph) depending on the state as speeding is sooooo dangerous .... especially if you are 5km/h (3mph) over the limit.

9. Smiley

Smiley Member

It has seen some serious speeds I thought, but with a speedo that only goes up to eighty, I have to guess with the tach.

10. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Seven grand is only just getting going.

ONCE THE MOTOR is properly tuned, running an XJ to redline doesn't hurt it one bit. The 550s make peak HP AT their redline, 10K rpm. As is the case with virtually all models of XJs, the serious power starts at 6K.

The 650 peaks a tad earlier, but you can romp it to 9K with great regularity and it will love you for it once the motor is properly tuned. You DO NOT want to be winding it up if your valves aren't in spec or your carbs properly set up.

There's a solution to the 85mph speedo thing too; just substitute an earlier or later-model instrument. In the case of cluster-mounted instruments, it's a relatively simple "guts swap."

11. PitBikeDude

PitBikeDude New Member

so Ya there is a whole other side of that bike! I just went for a quick ride before we go do thanksgiving. we have a steep 1/2 mile long hill and I found the other half of the throttle.....WOW! that 1/2 will be left for next summer till I get use to everything! you were not kidding that thing is not even awake the way I have been riding it but she sure woke up today that's for sure! I am going to have a perma-grin for the rest of the week! what a symphony

12. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You're hooked. :wink:

13. Helltime

Helltime Member

When on the highway I tend to run it about 75-80, back roads usually cruise 65-70. Every so often the bike sees 90-95 when passing or when i get bored for a moment.

14. PitBikeDude

PitBikeDude New Member

I did not get out of the driveway and I was hooked .... don't take much for me! I have been getting my rocks off in dirt with 1cyl & 10hp if that for the last 5 years!

15. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

0~60 in 1/2 a city block. Everything after that is all throttle. My normal travel is 5>Speed Limit.

Gary

16. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Normal use is 50-60mph on open roads. Highways typically see 75-80 (the sweet spot) and there is the occasional 90-100.

Once I did take the bike out on the highway when there was no traffic and clear weather and attempt to top her out. I did some 10 miles in 5th gear WOT. Not sure what my speed was but the tach was up there at the top of the power band.

Acceleration and turns are more fun for me, so I can have just as much fun at 35mph as I can at 80mph depending on the roads.

17. sebwiers

sebwiers Active Member

I expect to use my bike for commuting come spring, and for some reason twin cities freeway traffic often drops to below 50 even when not all that busy.

For late night / touring rides, I used to get my kz650 up to 85 for moderate periods. The XJ750 has almost double the horsepower, and is heavier / more stable, so I could see pulling a ton occasionally.

What's scary is I'm looking at building a custom front end. At those speeds, I guess I really need to trust my build skills. Of course, I'll be doing a lot of load testing before I hit the road, and would prefer to take it to a track for initial rolling trials. I can't see doing "track days" per se, but I'd love to get some advanced rider training in a track setting.

18. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Ozroadbandit - I found mine to be a bit hairy around 200 kph. Obviously mine is not set up properly :)

19. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

My 1983 former Midnight Maxim cruises at 70mph with ease.

When I shift to "Forth-and-a-half" she'll wind-up pinning the Speedo Needle which pegs at 85mph.

The 900 pulls 80mph effortlessly.
    Pushing it into 3-figures is easy to do, but unwise.
    The 900RK Front Fairing is aerodynamically unstable and insecurely mounted to the Bike.

At 115mph and above, the Fairing begins to react to the Air Stream.
    Each side will alternate "Lifting and Stalling"
    Causing the Front end to begin Pulling to the Left and Right as the Fairing pulsates to and fro as its aerodynamic profile changes do to varying pressures forming and collapsing as the Fairing reacts to the air streams forces upon it.

It starts to wobble real bad.

20. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

If you don't trust it to go fast, then you probably shouldn't trust it to go at all. If you've done all the maintenance that wasn't done by previous owners then there's nothing to worry about (aside from the usual risks involved with riding).