1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

what STUPID thing did you do with your yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by uzivelli, Sep 15, 2008.

1. ajosephjohnson

ajosephjohnson New Member

I was changing the oil getting ready for a 600 mile trip up north. Somehow I punctured a hole in the oil pan when I was wrestling with the drain plug. Now it sprays and I couldn't go on my trip. Haha maybe for the best.

2. maximike

maximike Member

Not today but yesterday, got up early to move it out of metered parking, so I wouldn't get a ticket. Moved it to residential area that requires permit, got bigger ticket. On my way to ride it (not knowing I had a ticket waiting for me) gas pipes sticking off of a building knocked my helmet out of my hands. So as I get to bike, angry about scratched up helmet, see ticket, angrier, put helmet on...old guy all the sudden has a camcorder, wants to take video or pictures of my bike, or me, or god knows. I can't hear him, try to play nice and smile for a picture. (he knew I was angry when he came up to me, heard me muttering about murdering meter-maids)

He keeps talking and pointing, like giving directions, I can't hear a thing between helmet, engine, and plug-style ear phones (not for music, that's illegal;) for hearing protection) Finally, I just say, "sorry, man, gotta go" and ride off. Really, bike is pretty and all, but papparazzi?

3. johnny77

johnny77 Member

Stupidity was yesterday remorse is today. Running at 55-60 yesterday a deer jumped off a high bank I'm driving on a freshly chipped road. You can guess the results. Police report said hit dear, slid on gravel, laid bike down This I knew expected damage didn't know semi runs over bike lots more damage. Today looking my girl over all the lights gone, broke the forks, frame, tires, rims and engine case.[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

Count your blessings.
    The truck didn't run over you.
    You're still alive and able to make this post.
    Five years ago, I hit a deer with my Maxim. Spent 6 days in the hospital and then 6 weeks at home. Stupidity? I don't think so, just extreme bad luck.

5. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

After doing some work on the valve cover, I put the fuel tank back on and tried to fire the engine with only the vacuum hose connected to the petcock...vacuum works allright, I got fuel all over the engine!

6. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

That will make you find religion quickly. Someone was certainly looking out for you.

7. RonWagner

RonWagner Member

Didn't ride to work today and it is beautiful outside.

8. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

Blew my main fuse.

9. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Stopped riding, to go into work...

10. Mikko

Mikko Member

Lost my gas cap key :x

11. motors-guitars

motors-guitars Member

don't you mean VALVE COVER gasket? if your head gasket is leaking id fix that asap. my valve cover leaks a tiny bit just occasionally leaves oils on engine fins

12. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i got a piece of old carpet and laid on the floor to park on so it's tires would be warm and cozy this winter

13. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

lol... wait, that's pretty smart :)

14. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

...park... warm and cozy... WINTER... 8O how dare you say all those nasty things in one post!! lol

15. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Dang...........wish I had spotted this forum a couple weeks ago----I was unloading my 700 from the back of the truck. Just as the front of the bike got to the end of the truck bed, I moved the wrong way and bumped the support for the cap door. Now I have a nice white zig-zag scratch all over the otherwise perfect red front fender. Fortunately, I was far enough back that the fender is the only part the got hit. So, during the winter I"ll search out another perfect red fender..................

Dave F

16. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Seriously.

Even in stinky ol' PA it's still summer until the 22nd; and the leaves haven't even turned yet. You do still have a few trees if I remember correctly.

I don't know about you, but I LOVE "color touring" when the trees are bursting with color and the air is cool and clear and the bike just loves to RUN. No oppressive summer heat and humidity, just the snap of fall in the air and some clear blue skies to split.

I'll probably do more miles in the next month and a half than I have all summer. It's nowhere near as much fun riding in full gear when it feels like a dryer blowing on you.

17. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Stupid?
    Hah!
    I was riding with a buddy of mine and his brake light was stuck on. Was gonna fix it this weekend for him. Just didnt have tools on my bike yesterday
    Well I was listening to his engine to hear when he was slowing down, shifting, etc.
    Hes leading us out of a city Ive never been before
    Accelerates, grabs another gear, starts to rev up then BVVVV, revs down and downshifts. He had realized at the last second he needed to make a right hand turn. No brake light, no indicator
    Well my butt had already grabbed 4th gear and revvin up to catch his 900 like always cause he rides hard. 7k rpm 55mph (at least)

Pulled in the clutch SLAMMED the brakes slid sideways (flat-tracked) for 20 ft downshifted twice feathered the clutch and throttle and effortlessly made the turn. Didnt. Miss. A. Beat.
    Dirtbiking made this possible. I wasnt even scared. Adreneline was pumping hard though. I slide all the time in the mud and just KNOW what to do.
    Thank goodness he was aware of me from the squalling tires and didnt finish his right hand turn. He would have creamed us both from the left. Most fun Ive had on a street bike in a while though ha!!

Stupid cause I was following too close.
    But man what a rush

-Chris

18. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

I DIDN'T ride today.....

19. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Ding Ding Ding......and we have a Win-nuh!!!!! ......didn't ride today-----that's REALLY stupid. LOL :lol:

Oh.....wait--neither did I. Now THAT was really stupid. ;)

20. z32800

z32800 Member

Great day here in Wellington NZ and I didnt go for a ride!!