1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What tools to carry

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by fakeplay, Feb 23, 2011.

  1. fakeplay

    fakeplay Member

    Messages:
    293
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Newburyport, MA
    Hi, could anyone give me some tips on what tools to carry in my motorcycle tool box ? I have a 1982 xj 750 j maxim. Thanks
     
  2. PainterD

    PainterD Active Member

    Messages:
    2,649
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    St. Cloud, Minnesota
    A full set of metric wrenches, sockets and ratchet, a cordless drill, tire patching kit and small air compressor, etc. You know, the usual stuff!!!
    Just kidding.
    I carry a few wrenches (major ones that I figure I would need) small vise grip pliers, small LED flashlight, tire plug kit, bike jumper cables (they make'm just for bikes) screw drivers and metric allen wrenches for the sizes needed on the bike.
    Don't rely on the tool kit that comes with the bike. The only tools that are any good are the shock adjusting tool (spanner wrench) and the spark plug socket. The screw drivers will probably work in a pinch but I wouldn't count on them for long term use. Just use your common sense and take what you figure you may need if a problem arises.
     
  3. Bobe7316

    Bobe7316 Member

    Messages:
    132
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Tasmania Australia
    No post at this time
     
  4. Altus

    Altus Active Member

    Messages:
    1,489
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    London, Ontario
    Honestly? A cell phone and a credit card will get you out of the most jams the most reliably.

    Otherwise, carry as much as you feel comfortable -- I've seen huge toolkits, and then there's the pitiful factory kit - still better than nothing.

    I've heard a lot of good things about CruzTools - for $85 the M3 kit looks like a pretty complete one
    CruzTools - Metric
     
  5. wizard

    wizard Active Member

    Messages:
    5,282
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    DEVON ENGLAND
    This kit is a good ballance & the one I carry on my XJ900.
    I don't have a kit for my XS 650 as it never breaks down. lol.
     
  6. Polock

    Polock Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    9,751
    Likes Received:
    2,101
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Beaver Falls, PA
    black tape, zip ties, cheap headlight bulb, leatherman, cell phone, credit card and sometimes a can of fix-a-flat
     
  7. wizard

    wizard Active Member

    Messages:
    5,282
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    DEVON ENGLAND
    Apart from the Leatherman, none of those are tools.
     
  8. fakeplay

    fakeplay Member

    Messages:
    293
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Newburyport, MA
    Thanks, I think I'll go with the credit dard, cell phone and a nice looking blonde girl.
     
  9. tcoop

    tcoop Active Member

    Messages:
    568
    Likes Received:
    25
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    South Weber, Utah
    I find a brunet works better. They are not afraid of getting their hands greasy. :D
     
  10. Polock

    Polock Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    9,751
    Likes Received:
    2,101
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Beaver Falls, PA
    hold on there Wiz, i use the black tape for a feeler gauge to set the valves and the zip ties to hold the valves open, the headlight is for signaling rescue aircraft, the cell phone is to prop up the side stand if i park in the mud and the credit card is to buy another cell phone. the fix-a-flat is mostly propane so i use it to weld the frame.
    by the way what is that 400 wet/dry sand paper in yours for? sanding those Australian bugs off your face shield ?
     
  11. uhoh

    uhoh Member

    Messages:
    97
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Location:
    BC, Canada
    Made my day right there.
     
  12. Militant_Buddhist

    Militant_Buddhist Member

    Messages:
    566
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Redmond, WA
    My bike is a tool box that moves under it's own power. Every time I need a tool out on the road and have to make do without I leave it in the kit forever more.

    - tire plug kit, 12v mini air compressor
    -zip ties
    -spare fuses (converted panel to blade style)
    -rather than a screwdriver like Wiz, I carry a miniature impact driver that accepts different bits. A miniature ratchet handle that takes the same bits.
    -1/2" drive ratcheting socket driver (doubles as the hammer for the impact driver)
    -(17?) mm deep socket, spark plugs and axle bolts.
    -4" handled "all sixteenths" crescent wrench
    -zip ties
    -8" crescent (spare hammer and axle bolts)
    -some misc millimetric allen wrenches. (pretty sure only the ones found around the bike, make a good "straight thing" to put through that cross-hole in the axle)
    -my special custom idle mix screw driver (free ZEP swag that I chopped down small enough and knurled the handle so I can weasel it in there and adjust with the tank still on)
    -some zip ties
    -Flash light, cuz all the above hardly does a lick of good in the dark
    -tire pressure gage
    -a few misc bits of heat shrink tubing
    -some nuts and bolts of sizes commonly found on my bike (exhaust studs, brake stay etc)
    -mini jumper cables (never needed them myself but given lots of jumps)
    -a bungee net in case I come home with more than I left with.
    -pliers, cuz I aint man enough to unbend and pluck out a cotter pin with my fingers.
    -many more things that don't spring to mind but if I were to need 'em I'm sure I would know immediately if I had 'em or not.

    oh and zip ties.
    currently I can only think of about three things permanently replaced or held together with zip ties on my bike. I hear some folks use 'em as mere temporary fixes too ;)

    *edit
    oh yes, the shock spanner. I haven't adjusted it in so long I forgot I had it. Show's how long since I've had a date brave enough to be "pretty on the pillion" (a nicer way of saying B.o.B.)

    My old KZ200 I could adjust by hand if I was feeling my Wheaties.

    I swiped something like this from work that fits pretty well. doesn't make very continuous contact all around but the hook hooks into the hole fine and it gets the job done.
    [​IMG]
     
  13. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    On my XJ's, I carry the factory tool kit, "augmented." I pitch their crappy pliers and add a decent pair of small needlenose/sidecutters and a small adjustable wrench; plus I always have a tire gauge in my tank bag or somewhere on the bike. Oh, and the Progressive shock-adjusting spanner, plus a flashlight. And that's it.

    The Norton is a different story; its onboard tool kit contains everything needed to repair a tube-type flat tire plus a chain break kit and spare cables, bulbs, etc. Funny thing is, I've almost never used any of it for myself. But it has come in handy for helping fellow Britbikers out of an occasional roadside jam.
     
  14. PainterD

    PainterD Active Member

    Messages:
    2,649
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    St. Cloud, Minnesota
    I'm with you on that one. I've used my tool kit to fix so many other riders bikes and hardly ever used it on mine.
     

Share This Page