1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Which Seca should I buy for a project bike?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Space Meat, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Space Meat

Space Meat New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm a 20-year-old kid new to the forums and the motorcycle community in general. Sometime next week I plan on taking the MSF and getting my motorcycle license so in the meantime I've been looking around Craigslist for a cheap bike I can buy and fix up. This will be my first motorcycle and I am very much a newbie when it comes to them. I would like to build a cafe racer/brat style bike with around a $2000 budget; luckily I'll have access to all the tools I will need so that isn't a part of my budget. Anyway, I found a used 1982 Seca 650 and Seca 750 both for $250 each. I wanted to post some pictures of the bikes and their owner's description and get your guy's opinion on them.

1982 Yamaha Seca 650
    Pictures: 650 pic 1.jpg 650 pic 5.jpg

Craigslist description: "Garage kept for over 20 years. Entire bike is in great shape. Gauges etc... no rips in seat, very rare. No scratches on fender. All blinkers and mirrors in tact. No dents on tank. Gas tank was prepped for paint. Will start, but won't stay running. Needs to be rebuilt. New plugs, wire, battery. Clean Florida title."

1982 Yamaha Seca 750
    Pictures: 750 pic 4.jpg 750 pic 3.jpg

Craigslist description: "Japanese bike, bulletproof engine, good condition, lots of parts. Engine runs. Can't locate title due to owner passing away."

Any thoughts or advice is welcomed. I understand I'm going to have to spend a few months on a bike to get it to where I want and that it will be a frustrating (but hopefully fun) process. The XJ750 seems to be in better condition (aesthetically) compared to the XJ650 for sale, although the 650 actually has it's title and I'm not sure how difficult it would be to acquire one for the 750. I don't know how true it is, but I read that the XJ750 is more difficult to convert to a cafe racer than other models. Seca's don't seem like traditional models for the cafe racer/brat style bike in general, though. What do you guys think?

2. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

The 650 seca is a one year bike in the US, if you are going to cafe it let me know, I would buy a couple of parts from you.

If you are gonna try to restore it you will find more spare parts for the 750 since they are easier to find.

Either way you will have plenty of work to do and the $2,000 should give you enough parts to get a good looking bike.

3. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Looks like the 650 may not have its airbox . . . If you are going to put pods on, that is one less part to deal with.

I like the way the 750 looks.

Never had to deal with titling, but from information gleaned here, it is possible but sometimes difficult to do.

4. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

That 650 tank looks weird - see where it meets the seat.
    I would stay away from that one.

The 750 looks to be in better shape. Will still need the usual carb stuff.

Paperwork varies between states, can't tell you what's involved in Florida. I have fixed titles in MN, though.

smeagol21b likes this.
  5. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    The 650 seca is one that Tabaka was looking to pick up and I was very interested in. He was informed the the bike was sold while he was on his way to get it.
    http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/650-seca.97827/

Double check with the seller to make sure it is still available as the seller has not removed either of the craigslist postings on the bike.

~Ghost

6. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Did you buy both of them ?
    Selling the parts for one will finance the other

7. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

If you go with the 650 make sure all mods can be reversed to original, no cutting of frame or anything like that....there might a few on here that might show up at your front door for that! Lol ;)
    I have a 650 myself and it's a great bike even though it's in for repairs at the moment....

8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

The 650 Seca should NOT be cut.... Rare bike for the USA.

The 650 Seca seat was cut back a bit in the front, that's why it looks funny.
    It most definitely is the same one---- smells a lot like a scammer at work

9. Space Meat

Space Meat New Member

Thanks for all the replies, guys. It seems that MiGhost may have been right and that the 650 was sold a while back. It's certainly the same one Tabaka was looking at and the Craigslist poster has yet to respond to my text about it.

I talked to the owner of the 750 and apparently he's missing the title, battery, and key to the bike. He told me the engine was running fine a few months ago when he bought the bike from his neighbor who then subsequently moved back to Tennessee. I don't know how he managed to lose the key so soon after buying the 750. As long as the VIN number comes back clean I may end up purchasing the bike in the next few days.

Anyone know what the procedure is for getting a key made for a motorcycle? I imagine you would need a bill of sale/title for a locksmith to manufacture you one.

10. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Nah.... Take the ignition switch off ( two bolts and a wire harness clip) and take it to a locksmith. 15 minutes and $20 bucks +\- you'll have a key.