1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Why is my chair tensioner not tensioning ?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by swingmanu, Jun 19, 2022.

1. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

Yes, that's what I'm doing but somehow it doesn't always make sense to me :) Thanks for the help !!

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Let us know how it goes so we can advise you more.

swingmanu likes this.
  3. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

Ok updates !

I removed the chain tensioner and repeated the whole operation like the manual. Rotated to C mark and released the plunger of the belt tensioner. Hears it go in position but here is the issue.
    When I rotate the engine everything is perfect until right before the T mark and the chain tension loses and it becomes loose on top. I included pictures. '
    So I removed the tensioner once more, rotated the engine to C mark and checked through the hole the chain guide. I can push it with my finger and it moves a little bit but it's very small. I'd say the chain tensioner is barely pushing. So my question is... Could there be something preventing the chain guide to move freely and put tension on the chain? Otherwise all the marks are aligned and it's all good...

Pictures are first when the chain is under tension, then when the chain loses tension and then a picture of the exact position on the timing and then a picture of the chain guide
    1655825022612.jpg
    1655825022572.jpg
    1655825022592.jpg
    1655825022542.jpg

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Looking at the guide through the opening it is not centred. The bolt and locknut that secures the guide you should reset that. I know you did not disturb it but try it to see if that corrects the problem. Turning the engine anticlockwise you should not be getting any slack in the chain. The inlet cam guide is not moving freely and the slack is happening because the camshaft is getting rotated by valve spring pressure.

5. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

good point and good eye ! I have to now find that bolt when I head back to the garage. maybe can also try to move in centred with fingers. I didn't disturb it but its true the guide isn't moving freely

Thanks

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

It's not your tensioner it's the guide l am sure of that. Good you put that photograph on that is the problem. Also the face of the guide that the chain runs on has a slightly raised section in the middle that sits between the links along the length of the chain. Make sure it is centred at the top under the cam cover.

16558283925996671912045029318761.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Reset this and you should be able to centre the guide.

16558290118565857223963345939257.jpg

8. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

Ok I don't find that info in the Haynes. Do you a wider picture on the procedure? Am I supposed to loosen it wiggle the guide and tighten it again?
    Manu

9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Slacken the locknut A. Then slacken the bolt B half a turn and then tighten it just till you get resistance because it has then hit the cam chain guide. Then slacken B a quarter of a turn. Keep it there and tighten locknut A. Yes try and square the guide during the process.

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

A a burr is a sliver of metal that could have been taken off the tensioner rod by the bolt. You would be able to feel it with your finger. Or with the cam chain tensioner out the rod won't pull out of the housing after you release the bolt.

Franz likes this.
  11. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

The tensioner rod goes out when I release the bolt. So it seems it has to do with the guide

12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes the guide is not sitting square. Can you take a picture from the top of the engine where the guide is in relation to the chain, if you have enough clearance?

13. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

I will try, it's tight but will do. I'm gonna do the manipulation you suggested.

14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes I hope that fixes the problem.

15. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

Ok I seem to have fixed it but couldn't do the technique you mentioned. I inserted the tensioner loose so with the spring fully extended and I suspect the rubber part of the tensioner positioned itself better and now I don't have chain slack when turning the engine.

So I guess it's fixed. Thanks for the help

Franz and Huntchuks like this.
  16. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

To further describe the issue I think the tensioner rubber had pressed so long against the guide that it had created a "groove" so when I reinserted it loose it was able to centre itself back on the guide it seems.

17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The guide will be centred now. Have you started the engine?

18. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

Im far from starting the engine unfortunately… still waiting on one throttle shaft seal and i need to change valve shims as i redid the valve surface a little

19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Oh that's right I remember now. Should run well with all the work you have done.

20. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

I hope thanks, i realised just now though that i might not have placed the valve springs in the right orientation…
    Im wondering if i should reopen it all,… :(