1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

WIP: Trucklite 27250C 7" LED DOT Headlight Real-Life Review

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Metal_Bob, Jan 24, 2011.

1. JBIII

JBIII New Member

Re: WIP: Trucklite 27250C 7" LED DOT Headlight Real-Life Rev

I just ordered one but I don't think that's all you have to change on an Xbike with a single flasher indicator.

2. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

ALL of my lights are LED. (Though I had to temporarily switch back to normal brake light bulbs when I found my LED brake lights were mostly burnt out/failed. (Cheap bulbs don't always last). The new bulbs are in the mail.

I had no problems using LED for my tail lights. (Though my "atari" computer unit doesn't like it and constantly warns me but I don't mind.) That being said, the 1982 XJ750J Maxim's tail light is perfectly designed for rear-only lighted LED bulbs.

To get my turn signals working (rear's are DOT approved and fronts have alot of bulbs inside a large reflector cavity on my Vetter Windjammer fairing), I had to use an electronic flasher. I lost auto cancel feature but didn't mind living in farm land.

Here is the flasher I use from eBay - The extra wire goes to ground.
    [​IMG]

I have no knowledge of other bikes with a SINGLE turn signal indicator on the "dash". You will still need an electronic flasher on any XJ, but I think you need to do a bit of extra wiring when making changes with singal indicator dashes, but don't quote me on that.

- - - - - - -

I haven't ridden much in a while because my bike is partially disassembled and I'm working 6 days a week without time/energy to get back to rebuilding the carbs & exhaust yet

I have order replacement 6" oval (semi truck) tail lights for my trunk. One light has some of the "running" lights burnt out/failed. I figured I'd replace both at the same time.

Also the extra amber turn signal bars I added to my hard saddle bags are 1/2 burnt out (both of them) and Amazon stopped selling that part number. :( I bought some replacements but they are not a perfect fit and I'll have to plug up at least one mounting hole from the other light bar. :evil:

3. JBIII

JBIII New Member

I contacted tech support at SuperBrightLEDs yesterday. They told me I have two seperate problems.

1, The LEDs do not blink.
    They said they have a blinker that may work, so I ordered one.
    They also said, if it doesn't work I could return it and get the resistors to connect at each signal to fix that problem.

#2, The LEDs on all four corners come on with the igntion switch on. (Should be just the front ones.) And when I switch to left or right the front ones get brighter but none of the four blink.
    They said this is due to the single indicator light on the dash, and that I need a "LED Turn Signal Diode Kit" to fix that problem, which they don't sell.

I found one made by Kuryakyn on Amazon and ebay and ordered one. $10.95 including shipping.

Does anyone know if this sounds correct???

4. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Everything that you were told is correct. With a no-load relay and the diodes you shouldn't need the load resistors. With a single dash light for both signals the light is conneted to both circuits at the same time. When using incandescent bulbs the small amount of current that leaks through the dash light isn't enough to make the blubs on the inactive circuit glow, but when using LEDs it is more than enough, so all four lights come on at once. By connecting diodes to the dash light you will prevent any current from flowing to the inactive turn signal circuit.

Mechanical signal relays won't work with LEDs because there isn't enough current draw to heat up the bi-metal strip. Load resitors are a simple work-around, but aren't a good solution in my opinion (you have the same electrical load as when using incandesent bulbs, so why bother with the LED conversion). A no-load relay eliminates that problem.

For those that have the ATARI; you can modify the internals to reatain the warning light function. http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14068.html
    Unfortunately the photos are no longer being hosted, but the descriptions are good enough that it should be clear what to do once you have your instrument cluster open.

6. Onetrackstu

Onetrackstu Member

looks like I might consider this for my current project.

7. lacucaracha

lacucaracha Member

I'm interested in these, too. For like $26 a pop for the knock off versions, it might be nice for visibility if nothing else. The spot seems to be the way to go as far as actually increasing visibility at all. All the data suggests the wider you mount auxiliary lights, the easier it is for people to determine your approach speed. I don't think 2 watts will tax the alternator much.

I switched all of my blinkers and tail lights to led, and the trick seems to be using chrome tape to line the bulb housings. The reflection throws the light in all directions, not just head on. That and wide angle/multiple LED replacements.