1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj 650 green wiring connector?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mac9421, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Mac9421

Mac9421 New Member

I have a 1981 xj650 and the harness is a mess.i was moving some wires about and the 2 wires that are connected by a green block have come undone from whatever they were connected to under the fuel tank area.theres no obvious connections that I can see

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

is this a 650 euro bike (seca) or a maxim? I see you are from Ireland is why I ask

the green block when under tank is used for fuel level sensor connection from Tank.

there is also a green block in headlight bucker that connects to clutch lever safety switch

3. Mac9421

Mac9421 New Member

Yeah the bike is Irish.the block connector was in and around the headlight but the two wires were connected to something in the harness that is under the tank/coil area.i don't know if there were ever used or just redundant

4. XJ550H

the clutch switch connects to relay under tank starter safety relay

27 is clutch switch 31 is starter cutoff relay
    one wire goes to ground black the other wire to relay black/yellow wire
    3127.PNG

5. Mac9421

Mac9421 New Member

Does it need to be connected or can it just be unplugged

6. XJ550H

if it is for the starter cut off relay and left unplugged the bike will only start/turn over in neutral . this is a problem if you stall bike at a light or stop sign as you will have to shift to neutral before starting.
    the wire from the relay can be jumpered to ground but this will allow bike to start in gear without squeezing the clutch. this can be a problem if it is in gear as bike will jump forward if clutch is not pulled in. you will have to get into habit of squeezing clutch before starting .
    (if wires are connected to connector those wires can be jumped)

if it is the green connector that is used for fuel meter guage it is ok to leave it unplugged. do you have a fuel guage?

7. Mac9421

Mac9421 New Member

From what I can rember of the original bike I don't think it had a fuel gauge.i bought the bike to bobber it and I'm halfway there.i have aftermarket clocks on now so there is defo no fuel gauge now