1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ Oil Coolers

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by singingotter, Jan 17, 2006.

1. DIYMechanic

DIYMechanic New Member

I have picked up an oil cooler off a 82' SECA 650/750. Putting it on my 82' 650 Maxim. I brought the camera with me to the boneyard, thought you guys would like the info.
    The parts fit perfect but...I'm going to modify where the cooler attaches to the frame. I think the bracket is welded to the seca frame. I was dang hot in the sun and left in a hurry, bracket is probably laying on the ground.

-DIYMechanic

Attached Files:

2. DIYMechanic

DIYMechanic New Member

That picture is my Maxim, showing you where to install the hose bracket. Out of order, let's try it again... Enjoy!

Attached Files:

3. DIYMechanic

DIYMechanic New Member

:roll: the order of these pictures...

Attached Files:

4. DIYMechanic

DIYMechanic New Member

8)

Attached Files:

5. DIYMechanic

DIYMechanic New Member

:D

Attached Files:

6. Nick

Nick Member

Thanks for the pictures DIYMechanic. I picked a cooler up off ebay and put it aside for a later install.
    Question I have for you, is there a bracket that mounts between the cooler and the frame?
    A trial fit of my ebay cooler suggests an alignment problem, frame holes too high up for cooler to bolt directly to it.

7. singingotter

singingotter Member

I ended up having to make some short mounting brackets to accomodate the difference in the alignment. I used some leftover steel from my luggage rack mod. The brackets ended up being about 1-1/2" long to match the threaded holes in the frame. Easy fix.

8. DIYMechanic

DIYMechanic New Member

Nick- You are running into the same problem I face with the alignment. I tried moving the electrical wires up but still not even close to fitting correctly. I'm pretty sure the original mount is welded onto the frame. I will be improvising a mount like singingotter suggests. I also want to JB Weld a bracket to the frame, for the top of the cooler. I belive this is important to secure from vibration.

9. Nick

Nick Member

thanks guys, just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me.

10. DIYMechanic

DIYMechanic New Member

I installed the cooler today. I went to the hardware store and picked up a bracket that had holes spaced about 1 1/2" apart. Hacksawed the bracket in two, works perfect. You will need to get 2) 6 x 20 hex head bolts with thread lock nuts. After installing, the cooler was pressed up against wiring harness. You will need to bend the brackets a bit so the wires are not pressed against the cooler. I'm not going to secure the top mount of the cooler, it's good to go "as is".

Attached Files:

11. tupperj

tupperj New Member

Just a quick clarification perhaps on SingingOtters comment regarding thermostats for oil coolers.

I've got one on my XS1100 by lockhart that has an external thermostatic bypass. No oil circulates to the cooler until it warms up. Looks like a cylinder about three inches long and one inch in diameter, with four hose nipples on it. They make them in black and chrome.

I also think, but am not sure, that the Yamaha setup has some sort of thermo bypass in it. I have one, but haven't installed it yet. Didn't have time to fabricate a mounting bracket around the crash bar/fairing mounts.

My .02.

Paul

12. singingotter

singingotter Member

I did not secure the top of mine either. It is definitely secure. Although I did buy the top rubber grommet in case I was bored and needed an evening project. Then I'd weld a new bracket on top to hold the grommet to hold the oil cooler. And yes, the cooler does fit snug up against the wiring harness.

13. Injuhneer

Injuhneer Member

14. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I managed to salvage the cooler, lines and oil filter adaptor off a 900 and fit them to my Max without heating anything but the shop to keep-out the winter cold.

All I did was fabricate a new mount for the coolers captive fittings by removing the horns and placing the horns "elsewhere." The center post at the top of the cooler needs to be -- prevented -- from seating by adding some nylon washers and o-rings to keep the top pf the cooler form being too high that is interferes with lock-to-lock on the forks.