1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ out of years of deep sleep

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jsmith800, Oct 11, 2021.

1. jsmith800

jsmith800 New Member

Hi All, i've very new to the forum and to XJs.

After new battery and plugs and many relay and electrical corrosion issue she fired up!!

Had to choke a few minutes to get idle properly, after engine warm it still doesn't idle without a bit of choke. Revs have slow response time but does rev nicely. Lots of tail pipe smoke after revs and idle mostly coming from bank 1 & 2 side. (left side)

The attached image are new plugs after running and reving for 5 minutes or so......notice bank 4 is very carboned.

Any tweaks or thoughts? Starts fine so guessing not electrical? Maybe the carbs are out of adjustment. It does not backfire at all which is good.

rev response time, carboned bank 4, excessive smoke and lack of idle without slight use of choke after warem are my questions on tweaking things.

Thank you for anyone who can respond!
    Joe

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

your carbs need to be cleaned sounds like pilot jets are clogged

also looks like you are using resistor plugs you need to change the spark plug caps to 0 ohm boots if you use resistor plugs

3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, a couple of items agree with XJ550H carbs need cleaned, but a couple of items are you using fresh fuel in tank ? Are you able to ride bike ? Running it may help a little bit of carb fuel injector cleaner in tank .

4. jsmith800

jsmith800 New Member

Cant ride, when i put the bike in gear it shuts off. Think the safty relay need to be looked at or remove or something. Even with clutch engaged, the engine shuts off as soon as you put it in a gear. I believe this relay under the igniter unit. The wiring is frustrating. Agree on plugs, i have BPR7ES plugs should be BP7ES.

Attached Files:

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Try putting your kickstand up , if it is down your bike will shutoff .

Huntchuks likes this.
  6. jsmith800

jsmith800 New Member

2 wires connected to the kickstand were hanging and not connected to the kickstand so i pulled the plug and removed that section of wire. perhaps i need to twist them together and close that circuit

7. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

8. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

You can unplug the kickstand relay to disable that kickstand switch functionality, AFAIK. I'll double check the wiring diagram, but this is what I recall.

XJ550H likes this.
  9. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes, the side stand switch is safe when closed so the side stand switch wires would need to be shorted together. Or, you can remove the side stand relay (blue dot) to temporarily disable the ignition cutoff and not worry about the side stand switch wires.

If the bike has been sitting a long time I think I would suspect #4 carb overflowing causing rich condition - a carb refurb in likely in your future as suggested above.

10. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

That should be easy to test - turn the fuel valve to PRI and see if it pukes gas.