1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ550R Winter Refresh

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Idle Ender, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Idle Ender

Idle Ender New Member

Despite ending up here occasionally, this is my first post. Hello! Anyway, Im currently in the process of tearing down and refreshing my 82 550 Seca. After riding it all year with the bare minimum of work done to it, I figured I should fix the few things wrong and clean it up. I bought the thing for $400 only needing a battery, tires, and the carbs rebuilt. Since then Ive put new bars/grips, headlight brackets to bring the headlight down a bit, and Ive trimmed the rear fender.
    Last time I rode it before taking it apart (why is it upside down?)
    20190904_154140.jpg

I recently wrecked my 125 and spent the last bit of the season recovering, so now is the perfect time to tear it down and truly make it my own before spring. Ive pulled the engine to replace the broken exhaust studs (it sounded like a clapped out lawn mower) and replace the leaking valve cover gasket. The plan is to degrease and paint the engine black and polish a few spots. Fins, etc. New exhaust gaskets and intake boots are also on the bench for installation. Ive been deep cleaning parts as it comes apart. The carbs came out great with just a little WD40 and a toothbrush! Also painting the cheesy factory plastic chrome turn signals black. The seat needs recovered and Im unsure if I want to source a European Guiliari seat or recover the factory one with some old brown Maserati interior pieces I have stashed in the garage. Forks need rebuilt but if I can swap to dual disks on the cheap, Id rather hold off and rebuild the replacements. Whats a bolt on dual disk swap for these? I know the box swingarm from a Radian bolts on, so thats on the "to do" list. I also spotted some JDM Koni rear shocks that look sick to replace the pitted ones on it now. Beyond that, I just need to clean up and wrap the 4 into 1 header that came on it and replace my guages that blew up. Possibly a 600cc swap if the right Radian parts bike rolls by. Lol. Leaning towards a ratty street fighter look. I love the missmashed patina of the thing and itd be a waste to paint over it. Just need a set of Beet side covers to round it off. Any thoughts or ideas?

20191202_193817.jpg 20191202_214709.jpg 20191204_160013.jpg

2. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

For dual discs you need a set of Euro Seca sliders - these had the caliper mounts as standard. Your wheel will also take two discs I believe. While you have the motor out you must also set your valve clearances..

3. Idle Ender

Idle Ender New Member

So a set of Euro forks, huh? Should be easy to get my hands on. I assume the tube diameter is the same. How different are the forks on a 650, 750, or 900? Figure the more options the better. And yes, the wheel has bolt holes for a second disc. Just has a little plastic cover over them.

Not a bad idea. Its on a list of things to do, but Id forgotten about it. Nows the time.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

look in our wanted for sale there are a set of euro xj550 forks listed there
    XJ550 dual-disc conversion

also the seca 550 has the smallest fork tube diameter of all the XJ bikes at 35 mm everything else has 36 and 37 mm fork tubes

5. Idle Ender

Idle Ender New Member

Little update since getting the engine out. First thing I did was hose the engine and frame off with some Simple Green and a wire brush. It certainly needed it. While I was doing that, I also painted the turn signals like I planned to. They turned out pretty good! I also painted the tops of the carbs before I slapped them back together with a new fuel T that hopefully WONT leak.
    20191205_164024.jpg
    20191205_171456.jpg

Once the carbs were ready to go, I was feeling frisky and decided to polish up the engine covers. Not TOO much, because I didnt want them making the patina-d tank looking funny. Painting the Yamaha lettering turned out pretty nice too.
    20191205_191952.jpg

20191205_211645.jpg

Next up was a valve adjustment. Took the cover off and replaced the gasket and did some measuring only need two shims (which Im currently waiting on). While it was off, I painted the cover with some crinkle paint and let er cook in the oven for a little while. Thank goodness I live alone or I wouldnt hear the end of it. lol. Turned out just alright.
    20191207_150836.jpg 20191208_225438.jpg 20191208_234614.jpg
    In hindsight, maybe I should have done this last because I still plan on painting the engine and it would have been one less thing to tape off. OH WELL. While I was baking those paint flavored cookies I started tearing down the seat to recover. Some black vinyl had been stretched over the original cover. It functioned just fine, but looked like ass. The original obviously looked much worse. Classic black duct tape fix. Dug out the Maserati leather to get some ideas and decided to use the padded back rest pieces for the top. Thoughts? My friend is going to try her hand at upholstery to save me some $$$.
    20191209_163840.jpg 20191209_182640.jpg 20191209_183854.jpg
    Last but not least, I was impatient and I wanted to see how the engine would look painted black so I just went and did it. All thats left is pulling the broken exhaust studs, so I dont plan on painting that part of the head until I get that done. It was a pain in the ass keeping the cams covered without using the cover, but I think its going to turn out pretty good!
    20191211_174437.jpg 20191211_174704.jpg

P.S. I know this post is very picture heavy. I dont know about you, but I love SEEING other peoples builds rather than just reading about it. lol

6. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I like picture too but my neck hurts from trying to look at all your pics sideways lol.

7. Idle Ender

Idle Ender New Member

I agree. Not sure why they do that. Lol