1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650 '80 Air Cleaner Joint

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mwmatt, Oct 31, 2019.

1. mwmatt

mwmatt New Member

The airbox-to-carb rubber boots on my 1980 XJ650 Maxim don't seem to be long enough to reach the carburetor. After looking at the schematics, the boots seem like they are the right ones but for some reason they're not fitting. Any advice? Thanks!

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

They do shrink and harden with time. Once removed, some older ones can be impossible to fit again. I have a one year only KZ bike that took me 14 months and $120 to find just one duct. Luckily xj4ever has then new for your bike at a reasonable price. Makes installing and removing carbs much more enjoyable too.

3. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

Make sure they haven't been pushed too far back into the airbox.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

also the air box is loosened up to remove boots your box may be pushed to far back to reinstall

5. mwmatt

mwmatt New Member

Great, I was starting to think I was going crazy! Thanks for the input!

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site!

The boots have a grove in them on the air box side. Make sure those are in place with the correct mark on top after you have the carbs on the head side. Using a heat gun (non flame) will help make the old rubber a little softer too. that will help. Some nice big flat blade screw drivers also work well to get those boots in and our of the grove of the air box. Once you have 5 posts you will be able to post a pic for us to help you out as well.

Good luck and keep us posted. Take some time and go to the upper right corner, click on that flashing icon and read lots of great info about our bikes. There is so much good info on this site.

7. mwmatt

mwmatt New Member

You are the MAN! Don't know how I missed that, but that tip was awesome, thanks!
    I got the boots also thanks!