1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650 Right Side panel - 3D print files

Discussion in 'XJ 3D Printing & STL Files' started by Nick S, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Nick S

Nick S Member

Hi everyone. I recently started a project with another community member to make a 3D-printable side panel for the xj650 maxim (1982). I got a basic 3D print file made and was able to print and test it out- it's not the sleekest piece (yet) but it fits! Here's a photo of it on my xj650 Maxim:
    [​IMG]
    It could use some type of weather-proofing spray probably... It attaches nicely, and as I hope to have another update with a more realistic shell design soon. For anyone who wants to print one on their own I'll also upload the solidworks (.sldprt) file and the printer (.stl) file with this post. I used the .stl file to print on an Ultimaker S5 (large printer bay) with PLA plastic. The total cost of the plastic for my print was $11.68. 3D printers are expensive (the S5 wide bay even more than others) and if you don't have your own I'd recommend researching libraries or universities in your area which might have them publicly available. I was able to print mine in the makerspace at my university. If anyone with some solidworks knowledge wants to make their own starting from this you can use the .sldprt file to do that. The attachment points are already good so no need to mess with those. Thanks again to @Dan Gardner for making this possible by lending me his panel! Hope people get some use of this.

Attached Files:

kalinin68 likes this.
  2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

That's groovy @Nick S!

Just for grins, I got a quote for printing at xometry.com. As of this writing (April 2022), it is about $100 to have xometry print a single copy for you. Still not quite the unit economics to make it an easy decision, but it is not hard to imagine that changing in the future as printing gets cheaper and original parts get more rare.

Of course the possibility for customization is limitless, so with sufficient CAD skills you could put 3D skulls, your face, chickens, or whatever design you can think of on your side covers.

3. Vern Nelson

Vern Nelson Member

I'm going to throw out my opinion on the cost of 3D printers. Mine was not the cheapest and cost me about $800 USD. I've had it about a year. Its probably the best $800 I've ever spent on tools. I have custom made so many things around the house that its ridiculous. Feet for a toaster, parts for my vehicles, camera mounts, fuse boxes, computer mounts, house numbers, coasters, key chains, etc, etc.

Software: Windows 3D Builder is a bit of a toy if you're a professional draftsman, but if your not, its pretty easy to pick up and use and can build up 3D objects out of cube, cylinders, etc.

I have easily recovered my $800 making stuff instead of buying. I've saved hours of time searching for things that I can create in 3D Builder in half an hour.

4. Derek Hildonen

Derek Hildonen New Member

I have to thank you Nick for posting this. I was able to print one on an Ender 3 Pro by using the entire print volume of the printer, a little tilting here and there. The one ask I have of you, if you are able to export the file in a different, more exacting format. SolidWorks is great, but proprietary and expensive and .stl is okay, but the meshes are difficult to work with if you want precision. I'll admit I don't know squat about CAD. I am still keeping my eye out for an intact right cover, elusive as a jackalope. I do have a busted tab right cover and want to use that as a reference to mod your original work, by learning CAD on the fly. I printed the cover using PLA with 100% infil and the part is very strong. If I can get the curves right, I will share with all of course and may send the file to a print house to use a more heat resistant material since PLA deforms at a lower temp.

5. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

Awesome job! It was something I thought about when I was looking for an airbox for my XJ550, and noticed other people looking for parts that could be 3D printed like air boxes, side panels, brackets, etc.