1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650 Turbo Help - Starter Puzzler

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by BigTex, May 20, 2022.

1. BigTex

BigTex Member

New guy here, with 1982 XJ650LJ. This was a sort of barn find, hasn't been run in years. When I got it home, I put in a new battery and replaced the starter relay which was dead. At that time, it turned over just fine but the carbs were a mess, so I began a restoration. I took the dash apart for cleaning and new lamps, also pulled the handlebar switches apart for a cleaning. Tank is off, as are carbs and fuel pump. Fuse box replaced with modern unit from XJ4Ever, all good there.

Now with dash and switches back together, I get nothing when I hit the start button. Starter relay has battery power but nothing getting to it from the switch. The previous owner bypassed both clutch and sidestand safety switches - I haven't touched those so they shouldn't be the problem. Neutral light is on.

I'm currently taking the start switch back apart, see if I missed something and to make sure it's getting power. Other than wire by wire search, any ideas? Any other safety cutouts on these bikes, like fuel pump?

Gratuitous photo because these are neat:
    PXL_20220115_161743033.jpg

2. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Starter solenoid has battery power on the small wire which is its trigger? If you ground that wire, then, the solenoid should close.

Do you still have an original fuse box with glass fuses? If so, replacing that with a modern one should be your first order of business.

As to bypassing safeties, that's one of my pet peeves. I hate when people's answer to "troubleshooting is hard" is to rip out things they don't understand.

Very nice bike, by the way. Congrats!

3. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

On the Turbo the starter button also energizes the fuel pump relay / fuel pump and after holding 3 seconds or so will activate the CMS, so if those two things are occurring and the starter solenoid is not engaging then likely a starter cutoff relay issue in that it is not energized because of safety circuit fault.

If the fuel pump relay is not engaging or the CMS is not activating then a likely issue with 12V ignition - ignition fuse, kill switch or emergency shutoff

4. BigTex

BigTex Member

Just to follow up, I had a bad emergency cut-off relay, dead as a doornail.