1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj650carb rebuild!! Need help!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Xjnoobie82, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Xjnoobie82

Xjnoobie82 New Member

I have an 82 xj650 in need of carb rebuilds. Now I don't know much about them I did some looking around and my local motorcycle shop could get me the rebuild kits for all 4 carbs but it doesn't come with everything I need. only things it comes with is gaskets orings floats needles and jets. My brother said something about I need the diagram???? Not sure what it is I've looked and looked online and can't seem to find this part. I've looked on so many different sites for the rebuild kits and none say anything about a diagram. I'm trying to get this bike up and running again for the spring. If anyone can help I'd be very greatful!

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Welcome to the forum! You most likely do not need a new diaphragm as they only need to be replaced if damaged. When you have your carb apart, you can stretch them gently in front of a light to see if there are any tears etc. All my 30+ year old bikes are still running the originals.

What brand kit does your local dealer have? Be cautious of inferior carb "kits" out there. For the best complete kit click on the XJ4Ever link in the upper left. He'll have the best quality complete kit you can buy. There is plenty of good reading on his page too. You cam PM chacal or email to info@xj4ever.com

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/xj-parts-catalog-section-c-fuel-system.44642/

3. Xjnoobie82

Xjnoobie82 New Member

Not sure what kinda of kit it is that the shop can get me. Said it be around $100 for all 4 kits. I don't see the link for xj4ever link or do I just email him the info? Sorry I'm new to all this.

4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

You can email or PM @chacal on this forum. His site/parts thread is a bit of a tough read but once you figure out the format you will be amazed at the wealth of knowledge and insane amount of parts he has available. Customer service is second to none.

info@xj4ever.com
    http://www.xj4ever.com/

5. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For the best complete kit click on the XJ4Ever link in the upper left
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    that would be upper right!!
    stu

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

unless you have damaged jets all you need is fuel rail orings, throttle shaft seals, mixture screw o rings maybe bowl gaskets.

float valve needles will need to be replaced you could go all in and do the valve bodies for the needles too.

inspect the mixture screws springs and washers if needles are not damaged and springs and washers are not rusted no need to replace them

7. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

8. Xjnoobie82

Xjnoobie82 New Member

Thank you all for the help! Bc I don't know much about it. My brother is the one that told me I need to rebuild my carbs bc last season mid season my throttle started sticking only once in awhile. I took my bike to him and said that it wasn't the cable stinking. And that I needed to rebuild carbs.