1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700 *EFI* The holy sh*t it is fast now mod!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by gennro, Jan 2, 2011.

1. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

You can search Ebay for 'throttle bodies' and will find quite a few. Make sure you get the wiring harness as some injector plug connectors are hard to get.

Mutliple throttles are always synced, mostly via the throttle plate but some have a bypass port.

2. bombinha

bombinha Member

More questions came up where did u install the MAP sensor? any pics? What did u do with the IAT? did u create a connection (hole) on intake 3?
    What about the wide band did u install it on ur header or exhaust? And this CLT sensor?

3. bombinha

bombinha Member

Well Darkfire I found several but on the price Genro mention only newer ones like 06/07 GSXR600 and my question still not answered if these 06/07 will fit like the 03 he used did?

4. bombinha

bombinha Member

Also Microsquirt was discontinued according to info from its dealer and they have no estimate when should manufacture get a new model to supersede.

5. bombinha

bombinha Member

The other great thing about EFI instead of carbs is saving since carbs need to be cleaned from time to time their kits are very expensive now a days so EFI will save u lots of money after years if u intend to keep the bike plus will raise the value in case u sell it.

6. bombinha

bombinha Member

Hey Genro if not much please could u send us a picture of how u did with ur tank to fit the rincon fuel pump?
    Thank u very much

7. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

The current version is discontinued, but the replacement is not far away.

The new version will not have built in coil drivers or have a metal case.
    Should be $50 cheaper though (according to the makers)

The system i'm running (Mircosquirt 'module') is unchanged and available.

8. bombinha

bombinha Member

What does it mean not having coil drivers? does that mean i gonna be able to keep my original coil or still need to move to a high voltage one? metal case should be a good thing but I seen some bicycles made of polymers with better resistance than metal lol. And Boeing have now the 787 plane with no metal.

9. bombinha

bombinha Member

Reason I am asking its basically should I wait for new version or buy an old one like yours while still have some old stock on ebay?

10. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

We seem to have taken over Gennros thread, so I made a shiny new one to answer your question; http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... tml#295423

11. compress

compress New Member

Just an FYI to this thread, the Micro Module is available but with the 50 pin header to wire in and alternative comm and JP2 to wire in if used, is a lot of soldering and work. Plus you should have some experience with this kind of thing. Reading as much with the micro tune system is a huge plus to know before hand. Read as much about this system will help you with other EFI systems which are all basically the same running off the typical lm1949 microprocessors. I didn't spend more than $700 for pump, regulator, injectors (only running two independently), WBO2, Micro module, MAP, GM IAT, TPS and a Buell MAF. I also played around with the GSXR Hi-Z injectors that I got at a local salvage for $30. each.
    I used the existing ignition pick up and trigger which works fine. You can utilize the wasted spark method quite easily. Isolation from RF noise is a must and there is many methods you can find on line to reduce from particularly the coils. I even used copper tubing, grounded, to run wires through.
    Alternatively there are many simplified circuits available that can be built that are called Alpha N controlled. Meaning TPS and O2 are the main control factors and runs in basically an open loop mode. Most early EFI systems were this way. Once your read more about this stuff you'll realize a good working system can be built between $500 to $1000. Depends on where you find sensors, your capability to build hard components, understand electronics and have experience assembling basic circuits involving micro processors. Some have made Alpha N using the Arduino processors.
    Learning this stuff may seem daunting but like anything else, once you start to understand the basics the rest is easier to learn.

12. bombinha

bombinha Member

Well compress i agree with u and have being doing some reading but there are lots of things there that dont explain well like keeping ur own trigger wheel and coils. And things like what TB's will fit directly with less hassle. Will the battery handle all that load and etc...
    Those questions are more specific for a model and what u use for an XJ750 will not work for an XJ700 so specifics here was my question. Money was not the real issue but simplicity. Something simple not necessarily is cheap like the new Boeing 787 cost a lot more than an old B767 but its a lot simpler with a lot less systems. But thank you for your inputs. I am looking for as much plug and play i can do no matter much what price as far as i have less time to spend on it.

13. XJ511

XJ511 Member

Wow!!!
    Just been followin' the "Generals" build and updates.
    Entirely righteous work!!! Rrrreal cool of you to share
    all of this with everybody. Thank ya' sir! *****

14. gennro

gennro Member

Well just to let everyone know I scrapped this whole project and bought a 2001 Yamaha V-max for a good deal. So I don't have any of the stuff anymore and not real interested in answering questions.

15. eurosnap53

eurosnap53 Member

since he finally scrapped it (and we all know why....) i felt i needed to say this.

other then learning about efi and how it truly works, this is a waste of time and money. this bike was meant to have carbs. no bike from the big 4 has been EFI'd using a carbed motor, something is always changed internally in the motor to help it run better for efi (i.e. they're producing a different type of head or the block is slightly different in terms of flow).

16. gennro

gennro Member

It actually ran fine and had lots of power, way more then with stock carbs. But I found the V-max for a deal and it has tons more power.

17. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

I totally disagree. Speaking as an experienced mechanic with 25 years specializing in EFI (5 of those as an instructor), I say hogwash!

I have personally put EFI on over 10 older engines that were carb engines, with much improvement. I have also fitted 2nd hand jap engines, swapping carbs to fuel injection as required.

Some engines *may* have different porting or cams to take advantage of the more precise fueling, but a fuel delivery system is a fuel delivery system is a fuel delivery system.

Will agree on the time and money bit though.

Edit; When you say no bike from the big 4 came out with EFI without changes, you do realize the XJ750 came out fuel injected in Japan with the same YICS engine?

18. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Curses! I was going to mention the 750D model and you beat me to it.

*shakes tiny fist* ;)

19. bradyb

bradyb Member

The time and energy spent converting an old bike should be considered. You guys know that you can buy an EFI bike starting at around $3K right? Sell your current carb bike for $1-2,000, save up during the winter months and buy something for $3-4K in the spring.

I was looking at $3-4,000 V-Stroms, Honda 599s, FZ6, and SV650s, before I found my $1,200 XJ. I was thinking about getting a sport bike with a nice upright sitting position and turning into a naked/muscle bike, but then I changed my mind and figured I better go cheap for my first bike. The XJ I found has some minor modifications that help to get rid of the hideous 70s/80s Jap bike look. It's a perfect learning experience as I take to the streets for the first time.

I think my next bike will be the FZ8, I love the look of that bike.

Like any project, don't forget to take a good hard look at the probability of you actually finishing the project.

20. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

By the time I finish my project bike, I could have bought a NEW bike with the money.
    I could have bought another 2 XJ750s for the price of just the engine rebuild parts and machining.

I agree that EFI bikes are commonly available.

Projects are not for everyone.

I know a few people who have started large projects and failed to finish after lots of $$$$$, but I also know many who have finished.