1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700N petcock modification on/off/res

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Cattleman XJ, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

Cleaned and rebuilt the petcock and I’ve clearly done something wrong because the fuel flows even with it in the “on” position and the engine off.
    Tired of fiddling with it, and I grew up without vac operated petcocks so the “remembering” thing isn’t a sticking point for me. I also prefer to run my carb bowls dry when putting it away for periods of time.

So, how do I mod this thing into a strictly gravity fed version with an actual OFF position? I saw a tutorial for the 550 but not sure if it would work on the 700.

I already ground off the stop tab on the faceplate thinking that I’d recalled in doing so I would unlock an off position but that does not seem to be the case.

TIA

2. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

If you have clearly done something wrong, correct it.

3. faffi

faffi Active Member

I do not know your style of petcock internally, but with the petcock in hand, you should be able to get a vacuum if it is sealing. You can also remove the lever and observe both how it looks inside (if it can block fuel) and also how the channels are made inside the petcock. Check this at 17:45

4. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

If I wanted to have the vac feature I would, but since I don’t- and I want the option to run the bowls dry- I would prefer to just mod the existing one.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You can fit a non-vacuum petcock easily enough. Modding the vacuum operated petcock will require making a blanking plate.