1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj750 CARBURETORS

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Codysc843, Mar 24, 2020.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

PM sent

2. Codysc843

Codysc843 Member

Asking again.
    it's odd to me how one day carbs work next day they don't and I'm asking what would go bad all of a sudden?

I'm thinking soak the carbs in gunk after I remove everything let it all sit in gunk overnight (except rubber components) then boil it all in water (to try and break up any loose rust or dirt) then another soak overnight and shoot air all over the carbs...never went this much in detail cleaning bike carbs what's yalls thoughts on my idea?

3. hogfiddles

That’s not going into detail. THIS is starting to go into detail.
    DA05EA13-357A-47B7-AE26-28036497CF94.jpeg

as far as carbs going bad overnight, it’s unlikely, but things can happen. Bad fuel, rust sediment in a tank, anything CAN clog jets but yes....that usually takes place over time. But, there CAN come a time when the last time out was literally the LAST time 0ut, tIl it’s fixed.

dfox

4. Codysc843

Codysc843 Member

Think my idea will work?

5. hogfiddles

Either it will, or it won’t. Keep in mind that there are a lot of passages in the carb body than can trap stuff or clog up. You’ll have a hard time blowing air through those. There are are usually filter screens on the back of the fuel valve bodies, too.if you you start removing the bodies, then you will break seals with the o-rings if they are still sealing. If you remove any throttleshafts, chances are the shaft seals won’t seal anymore when you put everything back together.

but try it. The worst that can happen is that it doesn’t work

6. Codysc843

Codysc843 Member

Do these brass pieces come out too they look like jets of some sort I'm gonna soak em all in gumout carb cleaner overnight

Also one jet near the floats is stuck and wont unthread ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

What you need to do is go back and test your relays per the manual. If the bike was running and carbs working and all she did was bypassed the relays. You should look and see if you broke any wires or caused any trouble when removing the relays. Your problem may be electrical

Having somebody rebuild your carbs would be a lot cheaper and buying those are my eyes beautiful carburetors. The occasional New old stock carburetors that come on eBay sell for $1,500. It could send an email 2 XJ forever and ask him how much for the restored carburetors. But be sitting down when you read the quote those carburetors of the people who go in for full restoration of the motorcycles.

8. Codysc843

Codysc843 Member

I'm cleaning these ones cause I think they got gummed up somehow seeing as bike runs with gas soaked rags directly in the intake of the motor (without carbs attached) and not at all with them attached
    Can u look st those pics I included and answer the questions listed in my other comment

9. Codysc843

Codysc843 Member

I'm not paying $1500 or anything more than maybe $100 for a dang good set of carbs I didn't pay but $200 for the whole bike I can get another whole bike right now for $100 an acquaintance has

10. XJ550H

The two Jets are air Jets the ones with the number 80 and 225 on them. I can't really see the main jet in the photo but it looks like you're going to have to take a set of vice grips two of them squeeze tighten twist off you might have to push down on the other side that would be the brass thing you see inside of the carburetor just below the air Jets with a wood dowel to keep it from spinning that's an aspirator tube under there and it just what the main jet is screwed into

11. XJ550H

You wanted tight-fitting screwdriver for the air Jets you might have to grind one down to get the proper width worst case scenario you don't remove them you split spray cleaner down them and backup from the other side from the main and pilot fuel jet. Under the supporting vendor form look at the thread called something new and something naked it is cutaway of the carburetors it should give you a good insight as to what it is you're trying to clean

12. XJ550H

13. Codysc843

Codysc843 Member

Did you see the pics? I've got the stripped jet out but do I remove the 2 in the other pic I already have but what do they go to are they supposed to come out when cleaning these carbs

14. Codysc843

Codysc843 Member

15. hogfiddles

EVERYTHING comes out when cleaning the carburetors. The only thing you don’t remove is the enricher pickup tube—- the little brass tube the sticks out of the carb body.

did you look at the pic I posted?

550h already told you what to do for the two air jets that you showed.

16. Codysc843

Codysc843 Member

I just seen it, Idk where 80 and 225 are supposedly printed but I've got everything except the floats disconnected and soaking in gumout I'll be reassembling in the morning, I only had one can so not enough to submerge carb body ill just spray it good and let it dry on the porch then put it all back together and try it out

17. Codysc843

Codysc843 Member

Can you picture a enricher tube? Wanna make sure I've not removed it

18. hogfiddles

The numbers are stamped right into the top of the jets. Look at the picture you attached. They are very clearly visible. Go look at the pic I attached, and look at the bottoms of the two carbs on the right. The little brass “straw” sticking down is the pickup tube.

19. Codysc843

Codysc843 Member

Wow I did not even see the numbers for the jets until you pointed them out I think I see the enrichment tube it's the bottom right of my 2nd pic correct?
    If so how do I clean those thoroughly

20. hogfiddles

Yep, that’s it. I use instrument wires, and a lot of carb cleaners, and compressed air