1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750RJ Seca Cafe Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by xulf13, Feb 12, 2009.

1. yamaha4life

yamaha4life Member

Re: Lowering and modifying my XJ750RJ SECA

here is my seca with air shocks
    [​IMG]
    here it is with savage/rebel shocks
    [​IMG]

hope that helps you figure out one lol good luck keep us posted and if you need anything just pm me

2. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Thanks for the photos Yamaha4life.
    For now I have lowered just the front 1.75" I will start looking for rear shocks in the near future. The only thing is... I got a paycut in my salary a couple of weeks ago so I'm short on $$ to get the shocks. But I still have a job thank God, and have food on the table for the family. So I'm taking it easy.

I reaceived my front forks back from Widow Makers (Hank) in Roxboro. I did not have the tools to drive the seals in, I got one apart, but then I was stuck. So I just took them to his shop. The good thing, is that I have been offered local help thru this site for future problems, which is great. Thanks Bill, Mlew, Artie.

So a cople nights ago, I threw my forks back on. Used the first set of after market headlight brackets I purchased and also added the maxim risers I got from ebay. With those risers, I was able to get the shocks to clear the handlebars and allow me to lower the front.

I also removed my worn Yamaha Decals, It left a bit of surface rust stains, but I will eventually paint the bike, so I'm not too worry about it's looks.
    [​IMG]

I haven't adjusted the grips yet. I was just messing to see what stance i wanted the handlesbars to be on. I like this one.
    [​IMG]

I still have to install the headlight itself, but I'm waiting for my new MC so that i can hook up the brake light wire at once. But this gives you a better idea of what it's going tolook like in about a week.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the front shocks clearing the handlebar.
    [​IMG]

One more week and I think I will be mostly done. :)

3. yamaha4life

yamaha4life Member

loss those gauges lol and front markers did you cut your rear springs?

4. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Yeah, eventually those gauges will go, but if you read my previous post Im short on $$$$$. LOL

I want to get smaller markers for both front and back as well.
    The rear springs are stock. I think the stance looks pretty good though. What do you think?

5. bill

bill Active Member

Looking good - should be ready to ride real soon.

6. yamaha4life

yamaha4life Member

yeah when i got mine it sat the same as yours i'm 6'5" i wanted it low and i have had alot of rockets and was just tired of leaning so i wanted the layed back look but still wanted speed i know this thing wont break records but it wll get up and go quick..looks good now yank the rear spings chop'em its free and low lol..p.s. i want your exhaust lol

7. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Does anyone know of a direct swap for a set of round speed and tach gauges? I mean, I know I can get the XJ650 round ones, but I want my tach to work. The xj650 has a mechanical tach and I don't have a place to hook up the cable in my motor.

8. yamaha4life

yamaha4life Member

there are..none that are direct without some kinda wiring/bracket mod...you have to remember you have 80's computer tech there....lol its funny really a buddy or mine and i were talking last week about nintendos and the games from when we were kids and the size of the games and i have a emulator on my smart phone and i have about every nintendo game ever made downloaded onto my phone.plus everything else like (contacts,meetings,appiontments,etc..) and not even close to my memory limit

9. xulf13

xulf13 Member

I hear ya Yamaha4life.
    But a Tach is a tach, if it's electric. I know the other stuff (like warning lights) is older, LOL. A lot older. But they still send their signals so I'm sure I can cut and splice.
    Mine is electric. I'm trying to look ahead for my speedo and tach gauge conversion. I think I've seen a few on here. I don't want digital though. At least I don't think I do. But maybe if I see a set I like I might go that route. Fabing and modifying is not an issue. I just wish they had a round electric tach for the Xj's that I could use. I guess it all depends on how much $$ one is willing to spend. Fora few hundred $$ I'm sure I'll find something. I want to keep costs down. I'm gonna start browsing on here some more for what people have done already and also start looking on ebay :)

10. yamaha4life

yamaha4life Member

11. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Those are nice Yamaha4life. Do you recall the brand and or vendor? And did the speedo cable hook right up to it? is it acurate? I see you rid yourself off the oil, brake, head, and all the accesores warning lights.

12. yamaha4life

yamaha4life Member

speedo hooked right up its the jap ratio spot on the MPH,tach works well alittle jumpy but not to bad....yeah i check my oile and brake fluid and can see when my signals are on and know when my high beams are on i don't need lights for that lol

13. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Hey Yamaha4 life: I'm thinkiong on getting four of these. I believe they are non LED. I think these will look much better than stock.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Smoke-Le ... dZViewItem

Do you remember where you got your speed/tach cluster? or the brand?

14. yamaha4life

yamaha4life Member

the cluster the PO had already installed with the wrong ratio speedo can't help you on that one

15. gurgietrueshot

gurgietrueshot Member

16. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Thanks Gurgie,
    I don't particularly like how small (2.25" diam.) the gauges are on that mikesxs site. I want something more like a 3" od. And I want dual pods. I was looking at the XJ650/Maxim speed and tach combo's out there on ebay and there are some years that had the electric tachometer. I used to think that alll thouse where mechanial speed and tachs, but that's not the case. I can rewire all the stuff to make it work. So when I have the ca$h I think I will go that route. the only thing is that those don't have some of the features mine has. But no biggie.

17. Toreadorranger

Toreadorranger Member

I used a set of 10.75 eye to eye sportster shocks. I had to modify the eye on the bottom right to fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Hey Toreador, I've checked you build as well. Very nice. Do you have a close up of the lower right shock to see what you had to mod in order for the shock to fit? I think for the other stuff you mentioned somewere that you used 1/4" copper pipe?

19. Toreadorranger

Toreadorranger Member

I used my bench mounted belt sander to literaly sand down the eye so that it fit in the stock bracket. My sportster shocks are off a newer sportster if you get a set of shocks made for an Ironhead sportster you shouldnt have to mod them.

What about the copper pipe? I made a backer for welding on my fender out of a copper pipe. But it was junk copper and ended up not working.

20. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Cool, Toreador, thanks a bunch. All this info is helping me get closer to where I want to be. I'm still waiting for my MC. Argghhh. I hope to get it before this awsome weather that's moving in a few days. :(