1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750RJ Seca Cafe Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by xulf13, Feb 12, 2009.

1. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Re: Lowering and modifying my XJ750RJ SECA

Well. Here's what I've been up to this past week, between rain and good weather every now and then. Finally finished the headlight swap. I think it looks great.
    [​IMG]
    (I can't wait to someday swap the tach and speedo to a round set)

I also added newer + nicer turn markers (signal lights) I spliced, soldered,a nd shrink tubed every connection. I did not take any short cuts in the splicing. Made sure it will stand the test of time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added my new MC from an R6. got my SS braided hoses shortened, since they were a bit too long after I lowered the bike and the fittings needed to be 90 degrees oposite of the other side to go smoothly into the MC.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now, the only problem I'm having is bleeding these brakes. I cannot get any more air bubbles to come out, but there must be some air left in there somewhere, because the brake handle is still very soft. I'm thinking of removing the calipers while the hoses are still on and move them around slowly to see if that will get more air to come out. Anyone have any suggestions? I want to go riding this sunday already.

2. yamaha4life

yamaha4life Member

oh me likey alot :lol: now thats some good stuff there to bad you couldn't have worked the calipers in there to

3. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

That MC looks great! Where did you get it? It didn't happen to come from Thailand, did it?

4. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Maximum, yes I got it from ebay and it did come from thailand.

5. xulf13

xulf13 Member

I spent more time on the brakes with some advice from another post. I got my brakes working now. I will go for a ride tomorrow indeed. :)

6. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

I'll be interested in hearing how that MC works for you.

7. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Well so far so good. Took the bike on a 80 mile trip and the front brakes held up nice. I still think there is some air in there because the lever should be tighter. I will be taking the bike over to a friend's who has a brake bleeding tool. I'll let you know how much better it handles from then on.

8. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Took the master cylinder off. It turned out to be junk. DO NOT BUY Knock off Master Cylinders from Thailand. I'm just glad it didn't take a dump on my while I was riding. Lesson learned, don't be chea on important parts like the BRAKES. I ended up buying a REAL brembo MC from a ducati and installed it today. it works great. The other one I could not get it to build pressure. it kept sucking in air. Turns out the Master cylinder resrvoir part that hooks onto the housing was bad and was sucking in air thru there.

9. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you, but thanks for the heads up! I'll keep looking for something better.

10. johno8

johno8 Member

Wow...your bike looks awesome! You've done a lot of work to it and it has paid off for you. I agree with your comment about not going cheap on crucial parts...a bike is like an airplane...once you're airborne, it's no time to find out that cheap parts you bought for a safe landing have fallen off.

11. xulf13

xulf13 Member

LOL, that's exactly how I feel now. But I paid $65 for the parts shipped. That is actually cheap if you consider the price of a real brembo Master Cylinder ($350 and up in some cases) I'm just thankful that MC did not take a poop on my while I was riding. Some one recently told me not to be cheap on Tires and Brakes on a bike. I'm sure other things apply as well.

I contacted the seller and he said he would refund me the money. Let's see what happens, I'll give him a week or so.

There are a few other things I'd like to do to the bike, but I'm really hurting for $$$ now. But sooner or later I will get the tank, fender and fairings painted. :)

12. xulf13

xulf13 Member

So it turns out the guy will not give me my refund until I send him the junk MC I got from him first, and that could take 2 weeks thru the mail, since this part has to go all the way to Thailand. I also would have had to pay for the return shipping myself. So I was not about to take the chance of me sending (wasting my more money) this part back to him and maybe not get a refund at all. So I told him that he was lying and asked him why did he not mentione that he required a return of the item on his first email when he said that he would give me a refund.
    I told him that if he did not return my money within 24 hours I would leave him very negative feedback and report him for selling cheap, fake, knock off parts that are a danger for anyone who purchases them and ride motorcycles. Guess what? 6 hours later I got a complete refund. 8)

I tell you what. Sometimes you gotta put your foot down. :x

Anyhow, this is my new (new to me. Used but good) REAL brembo MC. It needs some touch up paint but it works great. I even had a chance to see how good it works when a car decided to jump out in front of me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. xulf13

xulf13 Member

These are just some update photos after my Gauges swap. From the big BOX to these from Mikesxs.com
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next in store:
    Install my supertrapp 4 to 1
    Install my Cafe seat.

14. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

glad to see you did what every owner of a customized max/seca should do. DUMP THOSE REDICULOUS STOCK GAUGES!!!

15. Ease

Ease Member

Awesome.
    Maybe next paycheck I will hit up Mikes... Threatening to for too long.

16. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Thanks guys.

And now.....
    The next step, the seat of course:

This ones are from me mocking up the seat on my parts bike (another xj750) to test how it fits and looks. (I like it)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pardon the mess in my shed.

This is the making the seat bracing/brackets/support on my running bike.
    [​IMG]

My 10 year old helping out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

removing the stock seat hinges.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

welding the brakets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

finished and waiting for the seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should be finished by saturday. I'll post more photos later.

17. xulf13

xulf13 Member

4 hours of this and that but it's finished. Tomorrow I'll install a set of clubman's handlebars.

Next comes the xj650 tank and some custom side panels.

Cheers everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. PaintIt(Flat)Black

PaintIt(Flat)Black Member

I really like that tail light especially with the cafe back like that. You need some sort of cushion but other than that its looking great and the clubmans and tank should make a big difference, Any ideas for the paint yet?

19. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Well, I am on a budget at the moment. So I used apliance (refrigerator) paint for the tail section. I am planning on doing the same on the tank and fender. the paint is supposed to be chip proof etc... let's see how it holds up. I'm also asking a buddy of mine if his brother (an auto body guy) could do my tank seat and fender. Once he get's back with me I might just let the guy paint it. I took it for a ride yesterday and man, it feels nice, Now that the seat is lower i'm not leaning down as much and the stance is just right and way more confortable.

I have the cushions on the way. Eventually I will get a nice upholstered seat in there. but for now the cushions I ordered should do. Heck even sitting on the seat as is wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

20. xulf13

xulf13 Member

I got my little hard cushion for the meanwhile until I get the seat upholstered after I get the seat , tank and front fender painted.

Still working on my side panels, they're going to be very nice. No sneak peeks on that yet. LOL :)

Here is the bike with the clubman's, and temp. seat cushion.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what y'all think so far.