1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750RJ Seca Cafe Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by xulf13, Feb 12, 2009.

1. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Just having fun earlier today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and my friend Robert and his CBR600RR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. huckersteve

huckersteve Member

Great project bike sir, thanks for sharing the process with us. How satisfying is it to have a vision in your mind of where you want your bike to be, then slowly achieving it? Awesome work.

3. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Thanks for the compliments Huckersteve. But I'm no sir, just a guy that likes to ride. I was very weary of the 750 seca when I first adquired it at the beginning of the year,I did not care for it's stock looks at all but one thing led to another and the bike ended up looking as it does now. All I wanted was a different handlebar and grips in the beginning, :)

4. barzu

barzu Member

Xulf, looking good. The pics are fantastic. Front tire off the road and all, very brave!

5. xulf13

xulf13 Member

:D Not brave, Just playing around on a rarely frequented road. I wouldn't do stuff like this with traffic around.

My buddy and his CBR is always talking about popping wheelies and I just had to show him that is can be done on a 28 year old bike as well. His can get his bike up to 11 o'clock though. :x

6. Cooter

Cooter Member

ATGATT

7. xulf13

xulf13 Member

I know, I know, I'm short by not wearing proper pants.

but my buddy is stubborn, you'de think he would have learned form his earlier road rash incident in June, but noooo. He rather look cool. heck I rather look cool, but I want to keep on riding...

8. Cooter

Cooter Member

It wasn't so much for you as your friend- you are at least wearing pants. 11 o'clocks on shorts and a t-shirt? Nothing looks cooler than elbows and knees worn through the ligaments.

9. barzu

barzu Member

Yeah, I'm ordering my protective pants today. I've been riding in jeans up until now and clearly don't know what I was thinking. Nothing like visiting ride2die.com to push you over the edge.

10. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Buahgh, Man almost barfed after scrolling thru the whole thing. Makes you not want to ride at all. Some crazy accidents. I'm gonna get some better gloves and a real leather jacket and pants man. or at least some chaps.

11. oomis

oomis New Member

Just found this build thread - wow, great stuff!

I have the same bike and the same Carpy seat pan - how did you go about attaching the pan to the frame of the bike?

O.

12. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Just PM'd you Oomis, I will try to take some close up pics once the weather clears up. Thanks for the compliments :)

Oh and I'd like to see a build thread on yours as well.

13. nickel98!

nickel98! Member

Reading around on the forums here, I saw this build thread, and my jaw dropped. Xulf must be a bloody mind reader, I just picked up a 82' XJ650RJ SECA for 550$ a few months ago, and I had planned on doing some modifications to the bike. The bike had no side covers when I got it, and the fairings on the seat are cracked, but not in terrible shape, as is the back fender. Paint will have to be redone for the rust and battle scars from being dropped. The bars were bent back into shape (Sorta) after it was dropped by the looks of them. Lots of scarring to clean up, but the bike is sound.

I had planned on doing a cafe racer, had this amazing idea to use diamond plate for the side covers, grab a new seat off ebay with a nice recessed cat's eye brake light, and do up the flashers, since the bike was missing the front set anyways.

Then I saw the pics of Xulf's build, he did exactly what I wanted to do to mine. I couldn't believe my eyes, even the diamond plate side panels. I'm glad I saw this thread, now I am even more excited about doing this, because that bike looks amazing.

Here are some pics of mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Nickel98, you already have the round headlights and round gauges, so your conversion will or should be smoother. I'm digging your dual exhaust. I hope to see your bike finished soo.

I haven't done anything to mine except ride it.

15. acesfullof8s

acesfullof8s New Member

Hi everyone. Im new to this forum and am having a problem getting my new gauges wired up. I bought the same gauges as show in this thread gave them to my mechanic and the bike has been out of service for a month. The mechanic said he needs more info. He's having problems figuring out how to get all the old wires from the fish finder to the new gauges and headlight. Any help would be appreciated. Do you just cut the wires and solder them or is there a more efficient way? I may need some visual aides like a wiring schematic. Thanks. Oh btw my bike is a 1982 seca 750

16. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Ace:
    I sent you a PM. It is best to have the wiring schematic. It makes things a lot easier. it's on the back of the Haynes manual.

17. KennyNapalm

KennyNapalm Member

Bad - Ass

nice bike man

18. BigMouse

BigMouse New Member

Xulf13, you have a beautiful machine. Ive been lurking on here for a little less than a year, first time posting. I saw your bike and had to give you some praise. Ive been starting to take a more minimalist approach in building my bike and Im just starting to get the parts together. Clubmans and bar end mirrors are awaiting my installation, as well as a new brake master cylinder and lever that is on the way. The one I purchased looks very similar to yours, I was curious if you bought it off of ebay (this may have been mentioned earlier, my apologies if it has) and was it off of a Ducati? I also got the matching clutch level/master though I dont know if it will work. Anyway you should pop on over to dotheton.com and show off your bike you would certainly get a good reaction!

19. jpmoore76

jpmoore76 New Member

I just picked up an '81 xj750 seca for free from a buddy of mine. I have hopes of going cafe style with it, and what I had in mind for it is almost exactly what you have done with yours. I was wondering how much you have put into it so far, as I am also on a pretty tight budget. Also, what do you have in mind for side panels? Just curious.

20. kookie31

kookie31 Member

great looking bike! i cant wait to get mine done. love cafe racers