1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

YAMAHA tank or fairing badge

Discussion in 'XJ 3D Printing & STL Files' started by BigTex, Jun 23, 2022.

1. BigTex

BigTex Member

Made to the size of fairing badge on the XJ650LJ turbo. Could obviously be resized for others.

yamaha_badge.jpg

yamaha_badge2.jpg

yamaha_badge3.jpg

I've printed a couple trying to get the best top surface sanded smooth. Also trying options to get best colors, this one uses mylar wrap film to get the proper chrome finish. Still a work in process.

yamaha badge print.jpg

Attached Files:

Badmofo77, kalinin68 and Dan Gardner like this.
  2. Vern Nelson

Vern Nelson Member

3. Justa Aussie

Justa Aussie New Member

well done! I am playing with creating an XJ750 badge, since mine are in terrible condition, might have to work a bit harder on it now.

4. Melnic

Melnic Active Member

There is a plastic coating that 3d Printers use to fill in the gaps. We tried that on a 3D print that was VERY low resolution (large 2ft x 1.5ft part) we ended up using bondo instead.
    You may want to try that 3d printer filler stuff cause it brushes on. I'm suggesting this for the inset parts, not what you chromed.
    This is the stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/XTC-3D-High-Performance-Print-Coating/dp/B01BKSLI9M

After using it once I thought that thinned out (with alcohol) slow set epoxy would be just as good.

Originally we were using ABS, it was harder to print and we had to cover the printer and keep the heat consistant.
    Acetone could melt it which could be used in a vapor form to smoothen it out or even bond it together. But that stuff was not very good outdoors.

I have been using PETG to print on stuff that I put in an Marine environment and its UV stable and have stuff on a boat for past 3 years and looks new.