1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How did you get here?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by SnoSheriff, Jun 1, 2006.

1. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

One day my father was walking down the street when something caught his eye. He crossed the street for a closer look.

In the storefront was the most beautiful of her kind he had ever seen.

He invited her out for coffee........

Then the stork brung me :p

2. Nick

Nick Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    good one!

3. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

I found Dave's XJ Yamaha Page which had a link under Favorite Links which led me here.

Best place I ever stumbled onto, I really appreciate you folks and getting to be a part of this which seems to be bigger any other sites like it out there.
    It's pertainate to me, everyone gives a darn about the others, an endless wealth of info and knowledge, and some pretty darn nice people!

4. spinalator

spinalator Member

I was on the mailing list when you made your announcement and I rushed over to be the 14th member. I recall some of the old boys cried out "how silly it was to have forums when the mailing list is so great", and some were rather rude about it. I encountered the same thing with the VFR mailing list so it didn't phase me at all.

XJ Owners was still running at the time, and was a good enough site, but this one is a little fresher and newer, IMO. I am glad to see the membership up as I have been lurking for a good part of the last year and have not contributed that much to the discussions.

I like both the mailing list and this forum and still belong to both, but it is a lot easier when you are travelling, or at work to hit a forum than to carry around your email list with you.

Thanks for keeping the lights on for us! :mrgreen:

5. dchest02

dchest02 New Member

No ne has posted to this link in a while, but since I'm a newb I will.

I googled "Yamaha XJ650 forward controls," this was the third or forth page that came up. I absolutely love it! My wife seems to think that I am some sort of freak now because I haven't been this excited about something on the internet since the original Napster days. The amount of information from people that love the XJ's is amazing. I am glad I found this site, and wish I had sooner.

6. gremlin484

gremlin484 Member

I dont remember how I got here... ( It was probably google... thats how everyone finds everything on the internet right? ) All I know is at the time I was just browsing the internets trying to figure out what kinda starter bike to buy so I could learn to ride... long story short... I ended up here.

It was actually this site and all of it's wonderful members that made me start looking for xjs and ultimately settle on my XJ650. Now I'm in love with my Maxim and wonder why anyone would want any bike other than an XJ...

Thanks XJBikes.com! You changed my life forever! You're the greatest!

Hugs & Kisses...
    Gremlin484

7. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

My wife seems to think I'm a bit off because I follow this site.

I really enjoy it and want to see it succeed

yes, I still need a spell checker.

8. Alive

Alive Active Member

I got here by following a link off Dave's NZ XJ site... I think i found that off Google or Kiwibiker

9. dm101

dm101 New Member

10. Howie

Howie New Member

I bought an '82 XJ650J Maxim about a month ago from Pigmouse, a member of this community. He told me all about the site and I've enjoyed visiting it so far.

As a newbie to motorcycles in general, I'd taken the Riders' Safety Course and got licensed in the state of Texas about 18 months ago, but put off getting a bike for lots of reasons. As my 50th birthday loomed, however, I decided I better get a bike pretty soon or I'd never be able to face my mid-life without going crazy. Best decision I made in a long time.

I looked and looked, and had considered several different makes in/around 600-800cc. When I saw Pigmouse's Craigs List ad for the bike, I called immediately and his enthusiasm and knowledge did a lot to convince me the Maxim was the best "first bike" I could get. He'd kept it in great shape and the friend I took along to look at the bike told me I'd better buy it or he would.

I've enjoyed riding my Maxim a lot and with every passing mile, I'm even gladder I got it. Pigmouse sold me an '81 Maxim parts bike that has most everything, except the seat and gas tank. A new friend of mine, who also happens to be in this community (Dell82) suggested that I should look at restoring the '81 instead of parting it out. I took one look at the '82 1100 he has restored beautifully and thought, "what a great idea," though I'm humble enough to know I have nowhere near the technical expertise nor well-equpped shop (his is great) to make such a commitment without thinking about it a lot more.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying riding my bike on those warm sunny December days in Houston (when we have them) and getting to know my bike much better. I love the posts I've read, especially those on repairs, modifications, etc., and hope that, one day, my experiences will add up to something valuable to share with others on this site who already seem so knowledgeable.

Incidentally, I posted a "Wanted" part on the site for a flasher stay, but now I don't need it. Dell was kind enough to help me straighten the old one out perfectly. If his is any indication of the sense of community my fellow Maxim and Seca owners share, I'm excited to be a part of the group.

Howie

11. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

Glad to have you here! Sounds like you made the right decision; these bikes are getting harder to find. They're also straightforward and simple enough that you don't need a Phd to work on 'em either. BTW- good luck on that midlife crisis thing. I think I passed mine when I bought the Buell... 8)

12. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Hi Howie
    Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Youre gonna love that Maxim!!!
    They are pretty bullit proof and I personally love the way it performs and looks.

13. daliumong

daliumong New Member

found this site through WOOT from the kawa ninja 250 site: ninja250.net

he's a mod here too eh?

14. Fongdingo

Fongdingo Member

I used google and typed in yamaha maxim chat forum this was one of the first. Ive read most of the logs. Answered alot of my ? before i could ask them. Real helpful. I would be glad to pay money for the fourm with the xj cds on it , but make them a look at only file. Not everybody needs all of that info.

15. wdenny

wdenny Member

I was trying to buy a starter bike for my lady friend and stumbled on a XJ650 on ebay. I didn't know anything about them, so I started on my internet research and calling my bike buddies to ask about reliability and other quality issues. Stumbled on the site when trying to search for "Yamaha Maxim 650 Common Problems" I think. Bought the bike, joined the site, the rest is history.

16. XJJeff

XJJeff Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=88.583765+4
    I was looking for others who have xj's like clubs,forums,gangs well maybe not gangs but others who like xj's as I do. I just typed in 1980 xj650 Maxim into Yahoo search and low and behold there ye be and here I am and here I'll stay at least until I get a brain fart and forget. (thank goodness for bookmarks.

17. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    This is the only other place on the net I moderate now... :D

I'm everywhere you want to be ;)

Woot!

18. MaximusMaxim

MaximusMaxim New Member

I found this site by reading a post on another site..Ultimate Cycle forum

19. Silver

Silver New Member

Found xjbikes.com from Google search of XJ650RJ.

Great site, I'm a freshly registered new member and new owner (for 4 days) of a 1982 Seca 650.

I'm going to be ordering the XJCD tomorrow, which I think is an OUTSTANDING offering.

Looking forward to technical help as I wade through what I believe will be a major carb teardown/clean/rebuild.

Thank You to all who contribute content to this site.

20. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Hi Silver, welcome to the site.
    Lost of good people here, with lots of good help.
    Enjoy!