1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650 Intake Manifold / Boot Fix Repair, Heat Shrink. Does it work?

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Videos' started by taptapindustries, Jun 19, 2017.

1. taptapindustries

taptapindustries Member

had a go at repairing old cracked intake boots with heat shrink. isnt really ideal but thought it was worth a try.

2. REUBEN

REUBEN Member

I don't think that would work very well. Lots of places for air to leak into the open areas under the wrap.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That is why I continue to advocate for the tried-and-true RTV repair. The Heatshrink is a fine way to clean up the appearance without being as messy as using sleeves cut from innertubes, but it does not guarentee a lack of leaks.

4. CanuckXJ

CanuckXJ New Member

I didn't watch the video and didn't notice it being mentioned, but the ONLY way I would use heatshrink is if it was labelled "dual wall". The adhesive should keep it air tight.

My boots just needed planing (sanded flat) and I handcut new gaskets. Everything is peachy now.

k-moe likes this.
  5. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

heatshrink works very well , I've done 2 sets now with great results. the trick is to smear the boots with black rtv before shrinking the tubing on . it also stiffens up the boots
    keeping them more rigid, a heat gun or hairdryer helps soften them up when installing carbs.
    I noticed on my bike the boots "pulsing" when running, certainly don't see any of that now.
    PA070131 - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPG PA070132 - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy (2).JPG
    stu

6. Secacsm89

Secacsm89 New Member

Very nice way to make them last. I did the plumbers tape to get by for now on the xj 750.