1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. ridz

ridz Member

put on the new smoked stainless steel brake lines today. man they are a smaller diameter, I like em. getting close to finishing

2. frappe

frappe Member

I have colortuned her carbs and as result I got her running as never before!
    Checked fuel levels in carbs.

Made some nasty damage to fuel tank :oops:
    Now I'm trying to repair it without painting it all..
    Dork. :oops:

3. Kishkumen

Kishkumen Member

I rode my bike today for the first time in 2 weeks!

4. luna3

luna3 Member

Put a set of V-Max mirror heads on my 650...nice!

5. singingotter

singingotter Member

Just received a new chrome fender to replace my painted one (the old one was painted when I received the bike). I've already replaced the rear. I'll put it on tomorrow.

Also received an 8-gang weatherproof fuse box. I have additional fuses for H4 headlight, Dual Hella horns & a 12V aux outlet that need a better home. I had problems with the headlight a few weeks ago and traced it down to a corroded fuse. I had to ride in the rain a few weeks ago and it had left its mark.

Next is looking for a very clean pair of black side covers...hint-hint.

6. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I have a pair of 650 Maxim side covers. Not black, not clean. Structurally sound with all tabs in place. PM me if you're interested.

7. dburnettesr

dburnettesr Member

Put in a set of new plugs sync it again put 250mi on getting 50mpg gettin it an me ready for a big ride. did I say she 's running smoooooth

8. frappe

frappe Member

Cleaned chain with kerosene...
    This topic is going to eternity and beyond... :)

9. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

My turn.

Hooked up the four pressure/vacuum gauges I got from Harbor Freight, and given enough RPMs to keep the needles from bouncing around (yes, I know, I need to make a set of <bleep>ing restrictors), got them more or less synchronized. Now maybe I can bolt everything back on and go for a spin.

Then, like Rick strongly suggests, (and not a bad suggestion at that) I pulled the alternator cover and checked the length of the brushes. I have plenty - nowhere close to needing replacement.

All in all, a productive day.

10. RangerG

RangerG Member

I took the passenger foot peg brackets off and used paint stripper to remove all the old urethane or what ever it is they spray on at the factory. Used a good metal polish and brought out a nice shine. I'd done the cases a couple years ago and it makes a big difference. A coat of wax and it looks 100% better.
    Then I hooked a brake bleeder up to my pesky brakes. Discovered my biggest problem was not having thread tape on the bleeder screw which allowed air into the bleeder. Fixed that and now the brakes are as good as they're ever gonna get. Went for a ride. Stopped and talked to some sport bikers. My bike was older than all of them!

11. frappe

frappe Member

Yesterday my friends and I were testing accuracy of Do It Yourself carb synchronization.
    First I did sync with my home made u-tube. Than we have tested it with Carbtune and that was it.

Accurate as some 100$ device.
    There was debate on our domestically bike forum so we agreed to do some tests.

12. vinco

vinco Member

Worked on cleaning the carbs...again.

13. Kenbo

Kenbo Member

Finaly got the oil cooler off and engine loose ready for removal.

14. bobc

bobc New Member

went to put highway bars on my engine guard would not fit around the guard so i drilled a hole in the guard an put the bolt thru it with some washers and tightened her down and it worked great looks like they came with the guard. went for a ride and stopped to see if my buddy wanted to ride but his 2003 harley was in the shop again i rode off while he was cussing. good day.

15. RangerG

RangerG Member

I got my bike out today an noticed that the tank badge on the right side was broken. I'm missing an A! %$$#^&** !!! Of course this will not do, so I got on the phone to Reproduction Decals and ordered a new tank badge. It will take about three weeks to come. I used a little double sided accessory tape to keep what's left of the badge on. Went for a short ride.

16. russ668

russ668 New Member

Put new brake pads on the front, got rid of the sqeak and they feel great! Bled the old fluid out of them while I was at it.

Installed a new front tire to match the rear, Bridgestone Spitfire S11...suhhweet tires.

Still haven't found the source of the chirping though. It's only on the left side of the bike and around the carb/alternator area. Took off the alternator cover and started the bike and couldn't tell if it was coming straight from that area. Didn't get any worse or better. The bike runs great tho.

17. Kenbo

Kenbo Member

Nothing

Wife has me fitting a new radiator in the bathroom.............Im a sparky not a plumber :oops:

18. DMoreyXJ550

DMoreyXJ550 Member

Pulled the garage door open to take my daily look at the beast, she has her carbs out and in a box next to her. I stop to take a look daily so I can make sure I don't forget what I'm saving for. I'm trying to get the money together to mail out my carbs to Rick, but when I send them out I need to purchase a Jet Kit for it online and have it mailed to the same address to get them worked and me back on the road.

19. Scrape

Scrape Member

I have to fess-up and admit that my XJ has been put on the side burner for now. I purchased a 1984 Honda XL600R that is taking all my spare time from the XJ. :( My reasoning was to buy this bike to kick around on and keep the mileage off the XJ and keep it for special rides on Sunday and such. The only major thing I have left is to clean the carbs that are sitting on the bench for this weekend. They are Keihin carbs, primary and secondary, that are worlds apart from the Mikuni. The secondary carb aids the primary to kick in at higher speeds and supplement the air/fuel mixture and synchronizing the carbs is done in the linkage. The bike's valve clearance can be adjusted and doesn't use shims...like that! Anyway....I do have my $200 professional colortune kit and vacuum gage in my possession ready to go. All I have to do is to take the valve cover back off and do my valve clearance measurements to get the gasket and shim order off so I can get back to work. Once that happens, I can sync and tune the bike and I will feel better about riding it again. I guess cleaning the XL's carbs will be practice for when I tear into the XJ's carbs this winter. Well, at least I'm still reading threads here and learning more about my bike for the future.

20. Kenbo

Kenbo Member

Engine removed from frame today. Still to remove wiring harness, forks, rear wheel and suspension, before painting the frame